Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about projections and subspaces

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    If we want to caculate the projection of a single vector, v=(1,2) (which is an element of an R2 vector space called V) onto the subspace of V (which we call W), do we use

projection of v onto W = <v,w1>w1 + <v,w2>w2 + ........ <v,wn>wn

However, if the individual values of v are not known (that is v=(x,y) ), do we calculate the matrix of projection ?

that is, we do A(A[itex]^{T}[/itex]A)[itex]^{-1}[/itex]A[itex]^{T}[/itex]

If we have to determine the matrix of projection, is it because we don't know what x and y is, so the safe bet is to determine the matrix of projection ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really have no idea exactly what are asking. If you have a subspace, W, of an inner product space, V, and [itex]\{w_1, w2, ..., v_n\}[/itex] is an orthonormal basis for W, then, yes, the projection of v, a vector in v, onto W is [itex]<v, w_1>w_1+ <v, w_2>w_2+ ...+ <v, w_n>wn[/itex]. If you v is a "general" vector, then, yes, there exist a matrix such that multiplying any vector v by that matrix giives the projection. That is obviously true because projection is a linear operator. But I have no idea what you mean by "[itex]A(A^TA)^{-1}A^T[/itex]" because I do not know what "A" is. Where did you get the matrix A?

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    sorry A is the matrix that is formed from the basis vectors in subspace W

where W = { basis 1, basis 2 }

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook