Question about radius of convergence of fractional power series

In summary, the region of convergence for the Laurent-Puiseux series is 3<|z|<5, which can be determined by looking at it as a variable substitution of u = √z and using the region of convergence of the Laurent series for u. This can also be used to determine the radius of convergence for fractional power series.
jackmell
Suppose I have the Laurent series with region of convergence given below:

[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_n z^n,\quad \sqrt{3}<|z|<\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Can I conclude the Laurent-Puiseux series:

[tex]f(\sqrt{z})=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_n \left(\sqrt{z}\right)^n[/tex]

has a region of convergence [itex]3<|z|<5[/itex]? I don't know, maybe it's obvious now that I look at it. But I'd like to know what some of you think also. Is there something maybe that I'm not considering? Also, I wish to go in the reverse direction with that. That is, if I have a Laurent-Puiseux I believe converges in a region, can I consider just the region of convergence of the ordinary power series f(z) to prove the region of convergence of the Laurent-Puiseux series?

Or are there other ways of determining the radius of convergence of fractional power series?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can conclude this. Just look at it as a variable substitution ##u=\sqrt{z}##. Then ##f(\sqrt{z})=f(u)=\sum a_nu^n = \sum a_n\sqrt{z}^n## as you wrote. Now we have ##\sqrt{3}<|u|=|\sqrt{z}|<\sqrt{5}## as region of conversion in ##u## and get ##3 <|u|^2=|z|<5\,.##

1. What is the radius of convergence of a fractional power series?

The radius of convergence of a fractional power series is the distance from the center of the series to the point where the series converges. It is usually denoted by R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

2. How do you determine the radius of convergence of a fractional power series?

The radius of convergence can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. In the ratio test, you take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges. In the root test, you take the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the nth term in the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges.

3. Can a fractional power series have a radius of convergence of 0?

Yes, a fractional power series can have a radius of convergence of 0. This means that the series only converges at the center point and does not converge at any other point within the radius. This can happen when the series has a singularity or a point where the series becomes undefined.

4. What happens if the radius of convergence of a fractional power series is infinite?

If the radius of convergence of a fractional power series is infinite, it means that the series converges everywhere. This is the ideal case as it means that the series does not have any singularities or points where it becomes undefined.

5. Can the radius of convergence of a fractional power series change?

Yes, the radius of convergence of a fractional power series can change depending on the function being represented by the series. It can also change if the series is manipulated, for example, by taking derivatives or integrals. The radius of convergence can also be affected by the presence of singularities or points of discontinuity within the series.