Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about relationship between metrics

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Let X and Y be two spaces equipped respectively with two metrics [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex], and let's consider a mapping [itex]f:(X,d_1)\rightarrow(Y,d_2)[/itex]

How can I formalize the fact that for any point x in X, all the points that are "very close" to x (respect to the metric [itex]d_1[/itex]) must be mapped into points in Y that are "very close" to f(x) (with respect to the metric [itex]d_2[/itex]).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You're talking about a continuous mapping f between X and Y. You can express this very similar as (for example) in real analysis (epsilon-delta), only you have to invoke the different metrics into your notation. So, for any given ε > 0 there exists some δ > 0 such that d1(p, x) < δ implies d2(f(p), f(x)) < ε - this means that f is continuous at the point p from X. If f is continuous at any point of X, then it is continuous on X.

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    Ah...I see.
    and if I add the requirement that f is bijective I obtain a homeomorphism between X and Y? is it correct?

Thanks a lot.

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, along with the condition that the inverse of f is continuous too.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    Now here is a point I am still confused with: when is a homeomorphism between
    metric spaces as isometry.? I know every isometry is an isomorphism, but not
    the other way around ( I guess the homeo. between (0,1) and R is maybe the
    clearest counterexample.). Do we need some sort of Lipschitz condition.?
    Anyone know.?

7. Jun 21, 2010 #6
    Bacle, it's precisely when the pullback metric (if it's a homomorphism, this becomes a metric) agrees with the given metric. It's an interesting result in Riemannian geometry that a homeomorphism which preserves the distance given by the Riemannian metric is actually an isometry (in the Riemannian sense) - in particular, it's smooth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook