Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Rydberg equation and molecular orbital

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have a little question about atomic models

1. Does Rydberg equation only apply to hydrogen

2. What is the purpose and limitations of molecular obitals

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

In principle it should only be applied to hydrogen-like systems--systems with one electron in a Coulomb potential. Anything beyond a one-electron (or effectively one-electron) systems is not exactly solvable, and a Rydberg-type equation involving one-electron energy differences is, in principle, wrong.
    The purpose is to give a simple one-electron type of theory to a more complication many-electron system (a molecule). The limitation are legion, but interestingly molecular orbitals are still useful. A reference that I like regarding orbital theories is a book called "The Physics of the Chemical Bond". The author escapes me at the moment.

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3
    I was wondering if the book is suitable for high school level?

Thanks for the answer. the explanation is very clear

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

hmm... I'm not sure. But, probably it is too advanced for a high school text. Regardless, here is a link to the book on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-St...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230774559&sr=8-1
    maybe you can have a look and see if you think it is too advanced.

Googling for a high school text on molecular orbitals found me this book which perhaps is useful:
    http://caltechbook.library.caltech.edu/23/1/MOC_1961.pdf
    have a look and let me know. cheers.

you're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?