1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Scanned Transcripts

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    I have electronic copies of my official transcript with the school name, phone number logo and everything on them. However in a lot of physics Ph.D applications they are referring to scans. Do they really want me to print my electronic copy and then scan it and upload the scan rather then the original electronic copy. That seems incredibly pedantic.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2
    Would they really know the difference?

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Call them and ask.

In my experience most schools prefer to have transcripts forwarded directly from the institution that granted the degree.

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that those instructions are "left over" from the days when printed transcripts were the norm. IIRC one could often submit an unofficial photocopy or a scan of a transcript with the application. This would contain only the courses taken up to that time and therefore was incomplete. If the grad school offered you admission and you accepted it, then you had to ensure that your undergrad school sent an official transcript after you actually completed your degree. If this was not done, your admission would be canceled.

I agree that you should e-mail or call the school and ask for a clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook