1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about series and sequences

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a function [tex]a_{n}=\frac{2+3n}{2n+1}[/tex], and I have to find out whether it converges or diverges. I did the ratio test [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/tex]. And according to the divergence test, it should diverge. Then it asks if the series, (summation of [tex]a_n[/tex]) converges or diverges.

Now my question is, if a sequence diverges, does the series converge as well?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    Why do you say the sequence diverges?

[tex]a_{n}=\frac{2+3n}{2n+1} =\frac{3}{2} + \frac{1}{4n+2}[/tex]

Clearly converges. As to the series, you can see that every term is at least 3/2.
  4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    The divergence test says that if the limit of a function is not 0, then it diverges. And the limit is 3/2, which is not 0, so it diverges..... right?
  5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    I was under the impression that a function/sequence diverges if the limit is infinite and converges otherwise, though admittedly it's been some time since I had anything to do with this. I'm sure you have a definition in your text book/lecture notes. Are you sure you're not thinking of the divergence of a series? A series does indeed diverge if the elements don't approach 0.

edit: there is also a possibility that the limit doesn't exit, like with alternating sequences, in which case the sequence diverges also.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook