Question about SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality, M-theory perspective

In summary, the authors propose that M-theory on R^9 \times S^1 \times S^1 / Z_2(1) yields Type I' on R^9 \times S^1, while M-theory on R^9 \times S^1 / Z_2 \times S^1(2) is E_8 \times E_8 on R^9 \times S^1. The main difference between these two theories is the gauge group, which can be related by turning on Wilson lines. This illustrates the concept of duality, where two theories share the same moduli space and can be described in terms of different degrees of freedom.
PelleJW
I'm having trouble understanding the arguments in http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9510209

They propose that M-theory on the orbifold [itex]R^9 \times S^1 \times S^1 / Z_2[/itex](1) yields Type I' on [itex]R^9 \times S^1[/itex], wheras M-theory on [itex]R^9 \times S^1 / Z_2 \times S^1[/itex](2) is [itex]E_8 \times E_8[/itex] on [itex]R^9 \times S^1[/itex]. What exactly is the difference between (1) and (2)? Does it imply a different ordering of applying the orbifold and the circular compactification? In other words: what happens when the two last factors are exchanged?

Physics news on Phys.org
PelleJW said:
I'm having trouble understanding the arguments in http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9510209

They propose that M-theory on the orbifold [itex]R^9 \times S^1 \times S^1 / Z_2[/itex](1) yields Type I' on [itex]R^9 \times S^1[/itex], wheras M-theory on [itex]R^9 \times S^1 / Z_2 \times S^1[/itex](2) is [itex]E_8 \times E_8[/itex] on [itex]R^9 \times S^1[/itex]. What exactly is the difference between (1) and (2)? Does it imply a different ordering of applying the orbifold and the circular compactification? In other words: what happens when the two last factors are exchanged?

Check the bottom of page 12. In the Type I' theory (1), the gauge group is ##SO(16)\times SO(16)##, while the heterotic theory has ##E_8\times E_8## gauge group. So Horava and Witten argue that we get from (2) to (1) by turning on Wilson lines to break ##E_8\times E_8 \rightarrow SO(16)\times SO(16)##.

This illustrates an important concept about these kinds of dualities. In general, we have a theory characterized by some moduli space of coupling constants, geometric parameters (like radii) and Wilson lines. At some particular point or neighborhood in the moduli space, the theory can be clearly expressed in terms of the degrees of freedom of some perturbatively defined string (or 11d) theory, call it X. At a different point, the obvious description is in terms of some other theory Y. We conclude that the theories X and Y, after including the appropriate compactification data, share the same moduli space. This is what we mean when we say that X and Y are dual to one another.

When the modulus that we have to vary to get from the perturbative description X to that of Y is a coupling constant, we might call this a strong-weak duality or S-duality. When the modulus is a radius of a circle, it is a T-duality. But a specific type of duality might also include the other types of moduli, like Wilson lines, and we don't have a special name for this.

What is SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality?

SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality is a mathematical relationship between two different types of string theories - SO(32) heterotic and Type I. This duality suggests that these two seemingly distinct theories are actually equivalent and can be described by different mathematical formulations.

What is the M-theory perspective on SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality?

The M-theory perspective on SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality is that it is a manifestation of a larger, more fundamental theory - M-theory. M-theory is a proposed theory that unifies all the different string theories and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

What is the significance of SO(32) in this duality?

SO(32) refers to the number of dimensions in the mathematical space used to describe the string theories in this duality. It is believed that SO(32) is the largest group that can describe the symmetries of the physical universe, making it a crucial component in understanding the duality between these two theories.

How does SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality impact our understanding of the universe?

SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that seemingly different theories can be unified and described by a single, more fundamental theory. This duality provides a framework for exploring the connections between different physical phenomena and has the potential to lead to new insights and discoveries.

What are the current developments in research on SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality from the M-theory perspective?

There is ongoing research on SO(32) heterotic - Type I duality from the M-theory perspective, with scientists exploring its implications and applications in various fields of physics. Some recent developments include using this duality to study the properties of black holes and to understand the behavior of matter at high energies.