Navigating STEM Course Sequences: Advice for Liberal Arts Majors

In summary, for majors in liberal arts and science, after completing introductory courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and math, the next courses to take are typically determined by the specific field or major in which the student is interested. For physics, there is often flexibility in the course sequence after completing the introductory sequence, while biology and chemistry may have more specific requirements. Further research on the recommended course sequences for different majors at various colleges and universities can provide more specific information. Additionally, while the math courses listed (calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations) are commonly required for STEM fields, there may be additional math courses or a "math methods" course for physics majors. The level and type of math used in biology and physics may differ
Ricster55
I am a major in liberal arts and science ( or at least still trying to decide on which STEM field i will be going in ) and right now i am going to take intro science courses (general biology 1 and 2, chemistry 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2) and also math courses. After i am done with the intro courses, what comes after those courses (what goes after biology what goes after chemistry, physics). Also i know for math there is the calculus sequences, linear algebra, differential equations, but after that what goes after that? It's a huge course load, but I have a huge interest in mostly biology and physics, but its a pain having to take all those math and chemistry courses since bio needs chem knowledge and physics needs math knowledge. Any advice in order for me not to stress out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ricster55 said:
After i am done with the intro courses, what comes after those courses (what goes after biology what goes after chemistry, physics).

Doesn't your college or university list their recommended course sequences for those majors on their web site?

Likes symbolipoint
What you list for Mathematics courses is usually the minimum or typical requirements for nearly every Science Technology Engineering Mathematics field. Those courses are necessary for studying any STEM field beyond the introductory courses. While you study the sequence of Mathematics courses, you also should do some of the lower level science course while you decide which main or major science or engineering direction to take.

Be a little more careful with figuring which science courses are necessary for understanding which other science courses. Physics informs engineering and chemistry; chemistry informs biology; computer science and computer programming can be used in EVERYTHING; Mathematics one way or another informs all of STEM.

jtbell said:
Doesn't your college or university list their recommended course sequences for those majors on their web site?
I mean in general, what goes after those intro classes. What do i take after i completed biology 1 and 2 and chemistry and physics? I go to a community college and it's kind of limited. Only intro courses and that's it.

I know that after completing general chemistry, there is organic chemistry and physical and biochemistry, but what about for physics and biology? As for those math courses after calculus, linear algebra and differential equations, what goes after that? It's not like I'm going to every upper level math and science courses, but are those the only courses I have to take, or do I have to take more?

Ricster55 said:
I go to a community college and it's kind of limited.

Then browse a few 4-year college/university web sites. :smile:

I can't address biology or chemistry, but I can say that in physics, once you get past the introductory sequence (usually three semesters including intro modern physics which is often a separate course from the other two), the course sequence is usually rather flexible. Most upper-division physics courses, including the "core four" of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics + statistical mechanics, have the intro physics sequence, three semesters of calculus, and differential equations as prerequisites, and can usually be taken in any order. There are usually some exceptions. For example, a nuclear physics course might require QM as prerequisite. QM might require linear algebra in addition to the other math. Classical mechanics probably doesn't require intro modern physics as prerequisite. But the overall pattern is flexible. The details vary from one school to another.

jtbell said:
Then browse a few 4-year college/university web sites. :smile:

I can't address biology or chemistry, but I can say that in physics, once you get past the introductory sequence (usually three semesters including intro modern physics which is often a separate course from the other two), the course sequence is usually rather flexible. Most upper-division physics courses, including the "core four" of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics + statistical mechanics, have the intro physics sequence, three semesters of calculus, and differential equations as prerequisites, and can usually be taken in any order. There are usually some exceptions. For example, a nuclear physics course might require QM as prerequisite. QM might require linear algebra in addition to the other math. Classical mechanics probably doesn't require intro modern physics as prerequisite. But the overall pattern is flexible. The details vary from one school to another.
Thank you, but as for math, after those courses, in general for all colleges/universities, what goes after calculus, LA and DQ

Ricster55 said:
Thank you, but as for math, after those courses, in general for all colleges/universities, what goes after calculus, LA and DQ
And are they optional?

Ricster55 said:
what goes after calculus, LA and DQ

For a math major, I'll let someone else address that.

For a physics major, that's often/usually all that's required in the way of separate math courses. Many schools have a "math methods" course for physics majors which covers topics like Fourier series, Fourier transforms, partial differential equations, etc. It may or may not be required for the major. Otherwise, physics courses tend to teach associated math topics as necessary. For example, an introductory course on general relativity usually doesn't require the student to have studied differential geometry beforehand, but instead teaches enough of it to satisfy the needs of the course.

Ricster55 said
but I have a huge interest in mostly biology and physics, but its a pain having to take all those math and chemistry courses since bio needs chem knowledge and physics needs math knowledge.

Physics is heavy with Mathematics of Trigonometry, Differential Equations, Calculus, greater than - much greater than Intermediate Algebra, and maybe some finite math, and at least some elementary statistics is useful at times. Physics connects numbers and shapes to many things.

Biology can use as much Mathematics as does Physics, OR much different and less but involving Statistics, Growth and Decay models, and the subject focuses much on classification and complicated shapes. The type of Mathematics used or needed depends on the type of biological study of interest. Biology can be much messier than Physics.

I would sit down with the counselor at your community college. The counselor should put you on the right track.

1. What exactly are STEM courses?

STEM courses refer to courses in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. These courses cover topics such as biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Why are STEM courses important?

STEM courses are important because they provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary for success in today's rapidly advancing technological society. They also help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

3. What are some examples of STEM courses?

Examples of STEM courses include physics, calculus, computer programming, genetics, and mechanical engineering. There are many different STEM courses available at various levels of education, from high school to graduate school.

4. Is it necessary to take STEM courses to pursue a career in STEM?

While taking STEM courses can provide a strong foundation for a career in STEM, it is not always necessary. There are many different pathways to a career in STEM, and individuals can gain the necessary skills and knowledge through hands-on experience, internships, and self-study.

5. Are there any resources available to help students succeed in STEM courses?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students succeed in STEM courses. These include tutoring services, study groups, online resources, and academic support centers. It is also important for students to communicate with their professors and seek help when needed.