Question about substitution in limits?

In summary: I only referred to a scaling, not a change into degrees; still, sinx is defined in R, i.e.,for all reals.
Kratos321
okay so I just have a question about using substitution when solving limits.

Say I have the function sinx/x, if i want to find the limit when x--> 0 using approximation ( i know how to prove it with the pinching theorem by the way). So if I substitute 0.0000000001 rad into the function i get something close to 1. However if i substitute that many DEGREES I am waaaaaaaayyyyy off. I know a rad is a lot more than a degree but if i draw the graphs for both wouldn't i see that the limit is 1 for both the rad graf and the degree. (This isn't an actual question where i have to use substitution but i was just experimenting and am kinda wondering...).
any explanations would be appreciated.

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're expressing _both_ sinx and x in degrees when you do your calculation?

sinx/x -> 1, only when the argument of the sin is in radians. Mathematically, the argument for all trig functions (when being considered as functions) has to be in radians.

What I meant is you can look at working with degrees as just rescaling by 2Pi, i.e., start with 360=2Pi , and rescale any angle . If x->0 , then x':=2Pix/360 is a rescaling, and
sinx'/x' also goes to 1 .

yeah that's what i figured but is there a reason or explanation for it?

Kratos321 said:
yeah that's what i figured but is there a reason or explanation for it?

sin(xr) and sin(xd) (where xr and xd represent "radian x" and "degree x") are different functions, that's all. Namely, sin(xd) = sin(pi/180 xr). And so reasonably, the two functions would approach zero at different "speeds".

Re: Different Speeds (My 'quote' is not working)

Char Limit: the rescaling here makes no difference at the end, e.g., try

L'Hopital:

Sin(kx)/kx --> kCos(kx)/k= Cos(kx) , goes to 1 as x->0 , since k<oo ; just use, e.g

Taylor's Thm.

Bacle said:
Re: Different Speeds (My 'quote' is not working)

Char Limit: the rescaling here makes no difference at the end, e.g., try

L'Hopital:

Sin(kx)/kx --> kCos(kx)/k= Cos(kx) , goes to 1 as x->0 , since k<oo ; just use, e.g

Taylor's Thm.

Incorrect. It makes no difference if you scale x similarly, but just using the "degree sine" function without scaling x WILL make it change. We know this:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin_r(x)}{x} = 0[/tex]

where sinr(x) represents the "radian sine" function, which is the usual sine function. For reference, sind(x), representing the "degree sine" function, is equal to sinr(pi/180 x). So therefore:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin_d(x)}{x} = \frac{sin_r\left(\frac{\pi}{180} x\right)}{x} = \frac{\pi}{180}[/tex]

You see why, I hope.

I only referred to a scaling, not a change into degrees; still, sinx is defined in R, i.e.,

for all reals.

And what's with the 'I Hope' ?

And, BTW, I clearly stated that the rescaling should be done both with the argument

and with x, and my argument reflects that ; I think you misunderstood/misinterpreted

my answer.

1. What is substitution in limits?

Substitution in limits is a method used to evaluate the limit of a function by replacing the variable with a specific value or expression.

2. When should substitution be used in limit problems?

Substitution should be used when the limit involves a variable that can be replaced with a specific value or expression. This method is often used to simplify and evaluate complex limit problems.

3. How does substitution work in limit problems?

In substitution, the variable in the limit expression is replaced with a specific value or expression. This allows us to evaluate the limit at a specific point and determine the behavior of the function at that point.

4. Are there any restrictions to using substitution in limits?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using substitution in limits. The variable being substituted must be continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, the limit must exist at that point.

5. Can substitution be used for all types of limits?

No, substitution cannot be used for all types of limits. It is most commonly used for rational functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. Other types of limits may require different methods of evaluation.