1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Tension 100 identical blocks

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    Each of 100 identical blocks sitting in a frictionless surface is connected to the next block by a massless string. The first block is pulled with a force 100 N.

a) what is the tension in the string connecting block 100 to block 99

B) what is the tension in the string connecting block 50 to 51?

I don't know how to do this. The only equation I got was T2-T1=ma for box 99 where T2 is the tension string attaching to box 98 and T1 is the tension in the string attached to 100. Also for box 100 I got -T=ma and plugged this into the equation -100 + T=ma and got T=50 N but this is wrong for part A and is supposed
    To be the answer for part B but I don't see why. Can you please explain how to do this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Assuming the string doesn't stretch, all the masses will have the same acceleration. So, think of the entire set of blocks as a single mass being pulled and solve for the acceleration. Then you can determine the string tension between any of the blocks by considering all blocks upstream to be a single mass and all blocks downstream to be a single mass, thereby having a two block system.
  4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    Does this picture make it any easier? All the blocks accelerate the same but you can combine blocks.

oops, edit, someone answered whilst I was drawing.
  5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    So if there were a coefficient of friction of say 0.1 in this problem, then the 99 blocks together would produce a friction force of 0.1 x 99M x g and the one block to the right would produce a friction force of 0.1 x M x g.
    And each of these two friction forces would be the amount that is added to its corresponding equation. Right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook