Question about the characteristics of equations.

• Thread starter Curd
  • Start date
In summary: The operations used to solve the equation may change the functions involved in the equation, but as long as they don't change the solutions, they are valid operations. In summary, the operations used to solve equations may change the functions involved, but as long as they don't change the solutions, they are valid operations. So, when converting equations, it is important to note any implicit constraints and keep track of operations to ensure that the solutions remain the same.
Curd
I may just be overlooking something here but...

4-(1/x)-(2/x^2)=0

converts to

(4x^2)-(1x)-2=0

if you multiply the first one by x^2

BUT! they do not graph the same.

BUT! to make it easy to work in the quadratic equation you have to multiply the original by x^2

what gives?

are there characteristics to equations that are not addressed by the distribution and order of operations properties, or did i just miss something?

the answer book said this method was correct.

and this is not for homework BTW. I already graduated university and am in the process of going over all the math i took back in school, college algebra especially as i took it in a 20 day may course. I want to go past the calculus book this time so I'm taking it slow and asking all the questions i need to.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The operations used in solving equations do change the functions involved in the equations so you should expect the associated graphs to change. What we demand of operations that solve equations is that they do not change the roots of the equation. If an equation of the form f(x) = 0 is operated upon and we get a new equation g(x) = 0 then f(x) and g(x) may have different graphs, but their graphs should intersect the x-axis at the same places.

Incidentally, when you multiply that equation by x^2 , you are supposed make a note (at least a mental note) that x^2 is not zero. Multiplying both sides of an equation by a non-zero number doesn't change the roots, but multiplying both sides by zero might.

Stephen Tashi said:
Incidentally, when you multiply that equation by x^2 , you are supposed make a note (at least a mental note) that x^2 is not zero. Multiplying both sides of an equation by a non-zero number doesn't change the roots, but multiplying both sides by zero might.
To be fair, this case is slightly different. That x is nonzero is implicit in the first equation (because it divides by x). However, such a note is still a good to make, because this constraint is no longer implicit in the second equation, so it could be easy to forget.

Curd said:
I may just be overlooking something here but...

4-(1/x)-(2/x^2)=0

converts to

(4x^2)-(1x)-2=0

if you multiply the first one by x^2

BUT! they do not graph the same.
Yes they do!

A graph of the first equation consists of two points on the number line. A graph of the second equation consists of the same two points.

Now if you graph f(x) = 4 - 1/x - 2/x2 and g(x) = 4x2 - x -2, the graphs are of course going to be different, but they will both cross the x-axis at the same two points, and that's what you ostensibly cared about when you solved the equation 4x2 - x -2 = 0.

All that you were really concerned with were the solutions to this equation.

It is important to note that equations can be manipulated in different ways and still have the same solution. In this case, both forms of the equation (4-(1/x)-(2/x^2)=0 and (4x^2)-(1x)-2=0) are equivalent and will give the same solution. However, when graphed, they may appear different due to the way the graph is scaled and the specific points that are plotted. This does not mean that one form is incorrect or that there are characteristics of equations that are not addressed by distribution and order of operations. It simply means that there are multiple ways to represent the same equation. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of equations rather than just relying on memorized methods. Keep exploring and asking questions, that is the best way to deepen your understanding of mathematics.

1. What are the basic characteristics of equations?

The basic characteristics of equations include an equal sign, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a combination of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations without an equal sign, while an equation has an equal sign and represents a balance between two sides.

3. How do you solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

4. What are the different types of equations?

There are several types of equations, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving.

5. Why are equations important in science?

Equations are important in science because they allow us to represent and analyze relationships between different variables and make predictions based on those relationships. They also help us to understand and explain natural phenomena and make accurate calculations and measurements.