1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra

1. May 20, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

According to the fundamental theorem of algebra: "every non-zero, single-variable, degree n polynomial with complex coefficients has, counted with multiplicity, exactly n complex roots".
    My question is: what about polynomials with degree say 2.3 or 3.02, as in the polynomial:
    ## p(x) = x^{2.3} - 5x + 6 ?##
    Do these polynomials take part in the FTA ?

Best wishes,

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is not a polynomial. By definition, polynomials only have integer powers of the variable.

Your function cannot even be defined as continuous function over the whole complex plane.

4. May 20, 2017 #3

Mark44

Further, the function isn't defined on the negative real numbers.

5. May 20, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Further, no equation can have 2.3 roots!

6. May 20, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

##\displaystyle x^{2.3}=e^{2.3 \ln(x)}## can easily be defined for negative real numbers, you just have to choose a branch, and you have to define where to make it discontinuous.

7. May 20, 2017 #6

Mark44

The context of my comment, which I didn't state, was polynomials with real variables. I thought those were what he was asking about in writing p(x) = ... instead of ##p(z) = z^{2.3} - 5z + 6##.

In any case, this is not a polynomial, as you have already said.

8. May 20, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The fundamental theorem of algebra works with complex numbers and DaTario mentioned them in the first post as well.

9. May 20, 2017 #8

Mark44

I was so dumbfounded by the 2.3 exponent on what he called a polynomial that I didn't notice that he had mentioned complex coefficients.

10. May 20, 2017 #9
    Thank you all.
    I am satisfied with the comments. I was curious because the graph of the function:
    ## f(x) = x^{2.3} - 5x + 2 ##
    as shown below, suggested to me that we could also have some control over its roots.
    Obs: The command to this plot was:
    Plot[x^2.3 - 5x + 2, {x, -5, 5}].

power23div10.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  11. May 21, 2017 #10

Svein

Science Advisor

12. May 22, 2017 #11
    I must confess that, when I formulated this question, I was in the spirit of that child that asks if someone can multiply a number by itself 2.3 times.

13. May 22, 2017 #12

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And the answer is yes -- with conditions. As long as you can take the 10'th root of x, then (x1/10)23 can be considered and studied. So your question has some interesting aspects.

No matter how strange you think your question is, there is still a chance that someone has studied it seriously -- and maybe even applied it somewhere. There are also fractional derivatives, which I have a very hard time thinking about.

14. May 22, 2017 #13

Mark44

But this gets us well beyond the concept of multiplication, depending as it does on being able to find the 10th root of a number.

15. May 23, 2017 #14

Svein

Science Advisor

It has some practical aspects - in a tempered scale, the ratio between two tones a half tone apart is [itex]\sqrt[12]{2} [/itex].

16. May 24, 2017 #15
    I had contact with fractional derivatives once in my life and it was also "hard time".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted