Question about the irreducible representation of a rank 2 tensor under SO(3)

In summary, to prove that the symmetric and anti-symmetric parts of a rank-two tensor are irreducible, we must show that there are no invariant subspaces under the transformations of the group in question. This can be demonstrated by splitting the tensor into its symmetric and anti-symmetric parts and showing that they do not mix under the transformations.
TroyElliott
When discussing how a rank two tensor transforms under SO(3), we say that the tensor can be decomposed into three irreducible parts, the anti-symmetric part, traceless-symmetric part, and a 1-dimensional trace part, which transforms as a scalar. How do we know that the symmetric and anti-symmetric parts are truly irreducible, i.e. that they cannot be further block diagonalized via some change of basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
TroyElliott said:
How do we know that the symmetric and anti-symmetric parts are truly irreducible, i.e. that they cannot be further block diagonalized via some change of basis?
The same way you show that any irrep is irreducible. Show that there are no invariant subspaces.

Likes TroyElliott
Orodruin said:
The same way you show that any irrep is irreducible. Show that there are no invariant subspaces.
You seem to understand the question. As it is in the math section and the wording is mathematical nonsense "the tensor can be decomposed into three irreducible parts", can you translate the question into math?

fresh_42 said:
You seem to understand the question. As it is in the math section and the wording is mathematical nonsense "the tensor can be decomposed into three irreducible parts", can you translate the question into math?
Given the fundamental representation of SO(3) on ##\mathbb R^3##, there is a natural representation on ##\mathbb R^3 \otimes \mathbb R^3##. This representation is reducible to one copy each of the 1, 3, and 5 dimensional irreps of SO(3). How do we know that these representations are irreducible?

Edit, Alternatively: A representation ##\rho## of SO(3) on the vector space of real 3x3 matrices is given by ##\rho(g) A = g A g^{-1}##, where ##g \in SO(3)## and ##A \in \mathbb R^{3\times 3}##. This representation is reducible to the representation on matrices proportional to the unit matrix, the representation on anti-symmetric matrices, and the representation on traceless symmetric matrices. How do we know that these representations are irreducible.

Last edited:
Likes TroyElliott
Orodruin said:
The book that I am following, "Group Theory in a Nutshell", basically says since a rank-two tensor can be decomposed into a direct sum of 1, 3, and 5 dimensional representations, we will call them irreducible. Could you suggest a way to prove that the 3 and 5 dimensional anti-symmetric and symmetric-traceless tensors cannot be further reduced with a change of basis?

In general, given some tensor, I am not really sure how to show that it has no invariant subspaces under some transformation.

TroyElliott said:
In general, given some tensor, I am not really sure how to show that it has no invariant subspaces under some transformation.
Split the tensor [itex]T[/itex] into symmetric [itex]S[/itex] and anti-symmetric [itex]A[/itex] parts, then show that [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] do not mix under the transformations of the group in question, i.e., they belong to different invariant subspaces. For example, under [itex]SO(3)[/itex] transformations [itex]R_{i}{}^{j}[/itex], you can easily show that [tex]S_{ij} \to \bar{S}_{ij} = R_{i}{}^{l}R_{j}{}^{k} \ S_{lk} ,[/tex][tex]A_{ij} \to \bar{A}_{ij} = R_{i}{}^{l}R_{j}{}^{k} \ A_{lk} .[/tex] And if you try the transformation [tex]S_{ij} \to \bar{A}_{ij} = M_{i}{}^{l}M_{j}{}^{k} \ S_{lk} ,[/tex] you can show that there exists no such matrix [itex]M[/itex].

Likes dextercioby

1. What is an irreducible representation?

An irreducible representation is a mathematical concept used to describe the transformations of a group in terms of matrices. It is a way of breaking down a larger group into smaller, simpler pieces that are easier to understand and manipulate.

2. What is a rank 2 tensor?

A rank 2 tensor is a mathematical object that describes how a physical quantity, such as force or stress, changes in different directions. It has two indices and can be represented as a matrix.

3. What does SO(3) refer to?

SO(3) refers to the special orthogonal group in three dimensions. It is a group of rotations in three-dimensional space that preserve the length of vectors and the angle between them.

4. Why is the irreducible representation of a rank 2 tensor important?

The irreducible representation of a rank 2 tensor is important because it allows us to understand how the tensor behaves under rotations in three-dimensional space. This is useful in many areas of physics and engineering, such as mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. How is the irreducible representation of a rank 2 tensor calculated?

The irreducible representation of a rank 2 tensor can be calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which are a set of numbers that describe how different representations of a group can be combined to form a new representation. These coefficients can be used to break down a rank 2 tensor into its irreducible components.