Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Majorana mass term

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    The Majorana mass term is expressed from a single Weyl spinor. But I am a little confused by the expression. For example, see Eq. (2) in http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0410370v2.pdf

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m(\chi^T\epsilon \chi+h.c.)[/itex]

Here [itex]\chi[/itex] is the Weyl spinor and [itex]\epsilon = i\sigma^2 [/itex] is the antisymmetric tensor.

But when I do a simple calculation:
    [itex]\chi^T\epsilon \chi =(\chi^T\epsilon \chi)^T = \chi^T(-\epsilon) \chi [/itex]

Here I used [itex]\epsilon^T = -\epsilon[/itex]

therefore [itex]\chi^T\epsilon \chi =0 [/itex]

So can anyone tell me what is wrong here? What is missing here? Thanks a lot

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2
    you will get an extra minus sign while taking the hemitian conjugate.It is special with σ2.try with a two component spinor of (a b) form explicitly.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

:confused: I don't see any σ2 in the expression he's given.

It's just χTεχ = χ1χ2 - χ2χ1 ≡ 0.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4
    actually that does not vanish.

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    Thanks for all the replies. I found the mistake in my calculation. [itex]\chi_1[/itex] and [itex]\chi_2[/itex] are Grassman variables, thus satisfy the anti-commutation relation, which means [itex]\chi_1\chi_2-\chi_2\chi_1 \neq 0[/itex]

7. Mar 12, 2013 #6

Bill_K

Science Advisor

In that case, I'm interested in your solution to Exercise 1.4, which says it is zero. :confused:

8. Mar 13, 2013 #7

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because of the Grassmann statistics, [itex]2\chi_1^a\chi_2^b=\epsilon^{\alpha\beta}\chi^a_\alpha\chi_\beta^b[/itex] is symmetric in [itex]a,b[/itex].

9. Mar 15, 2013 #8
    A simple calculation yields x12,x22 type term,which are zero.

10. Mar 15, 2013 #9

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That term cannot appear in the expression in exercise 1.4. What appears in the expression is an [itex]\epsilon_{ab}[/itex] for the internal indices: there's no 22-component!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook