1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the properties of inductive circuits?

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    I'm studying for my prelim and am trying to understand inductance better based on some questions I have done I've come up with these statements can anyone confirm they are true

the back emf in an inductive circuit at any given time equal to the voltage across the inductor
    I initially thought you had to subtract the voltage across the inductor from the supply voltage to find back emf

the more turns in the coil of wire the greater the back emf and the smaller the maximum current

there was a question on how the increasing the number of turns will affect the time taken to reach the maximum current
    My guess is that the increased number of turns will increase the induced back emf thus there is more resistance to current so it will take longer to reach its maximum
    since back emf = -L dI/dt

also
    if you remove the core from an inductor there will be no effect on maximum current but the inductance and back emf are both reduced so the time to reach max. current is smaller

thanks for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread re-opened. Please post questions like this in the HH, Intro Physics forum. The Advanced Physics HH forum is for upper-division and graduate level questions. Thanks. :-)

Also, please do not delete the HH Template that you are provided when starting new threads. Your post above is very confusing without the Template. It is hard to tell what the questions are, and what your answers are. Can you please be more clear about what are the questions and what are your proposed answers? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted