1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Schwarz inequality

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    I am confused about a proof of the Schwarz inequality in my book...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\left(\sum_{j=1}^n |a_j \overline{b}_j |\right)^2\leq \left(\sum_{j=1}^n |a_j|^2\right) \left(\sum_{j=1}^n |b_j|^2\right).[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

In the proof in my book (Rudin) it sets [tex]A = \sum a_j^2[/tex] and [tex]B = \sum b_j^2[/tex] and [tex]C = \sum a_j \overline{b}_j[/tex]. It assumes B > 0 and then says

[tex]\sum {|Ba_j - Cb_j|}^2 = B^2 \sum {|a_j|}^2 - B \overline{C} \sum a_j \overline{b}_j - BC \sum \overline{a}_j b_j + |C|^2 \sum |b_j|^2 = B^2 A - B |C| ^2 [/tex]

I don't understand how it got between those two steps.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a lot of inconsistencies in what you've written down, but I'm going to assume they're just transcription errors. Anyway, I think what you're missing is that for a complex number z, [itex]z\bar{z} = |z|^2[/itex].
  4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
    Try treating this as a quadratic equation, except switch your B and C.

Then take [tex]Ax^{2} + 2Bx + C[/tex] [tex]\leq 0 [/tex]

Then complete the square and see what you get. (This proof is found in Apostol's Calculus)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?