Question about this equation for the expectation value

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of expectation values in a NMR text and the reason for dividing by the integral of the probability density. It also mentions the assumption of normalization and a resource for studying.
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
please see below
Hi all,

I found this notation of expectation values in a NMR text.

In class, I learned that expectation values are given by
$$<\hat{X}>=\int_{-\infty}^\infty\psi^*x\psi dx$$

why does this textbook divide by the integral of probability density ##\int \psi^*\psi dx##?

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.06.08 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
a NMR text.

Which textbook?

docnet said:
why does this textbook divide by the integral of probability density ##\int \psi^*\psi dx##?

Because it is not assuming that ##\psi## is normalized. The formulas you are used to seeing are based on the assumption that ##\psi## is normalized, which is a typical assumption in QM textbooks; but that just means the integral in the denominator is ##1## so the textbooks often leave it out. A strictly correct formula keeps it in.

Likes vanhees71 and docnet
PeterDonis said:
Which textbook?

University of Cambridge published lectures of NMR under Introduction to NMR on this website

Link: http://www-keeler.ch.cam.ac.uk/lectures/

PeterDonis said:
Because it is not assuming that ##\psi## is normalized. The formulas you are used to seeing are based on the assumption that ##\psi## is normalized, which is a typical assumption in QM textbooks; but that just means the integral in the denominator is ##1## so the textbooks often leave it out. A strictly correct formula keeps it in.

Ah, that makes so much sense. Thank you I am truly glad for to have your knowledge as a resource for studying. :bow:

edited for grammar

docnet said:
Thank you I am truly glad for to have your knowledge as a resource for studying. :bow:

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

1. What is an expectation value in an equation?

An expectation value in an equation is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a random variable. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its probability and summing them together.

2. How is the expectation value calculated?

The expectation value is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its probability and summing them together.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value in an equation?

The expectation value is significant because it represents the most probable outcome of a random variable and can help predict the behavior of a system.

4. Can the expectation value change in an equation?

Yes, the expectation value can change in an equation if the probabilities of the variable's values change. It is a dynamic value that reflects the current state of the system.

5. How is the expectation value used in scientific research?

The expectation value is used in scientific research to make predictions and analyze data. It is commonly used in statistics, quantum mechanics, and other fields to understand the behavior of complex systems.