1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about Using the Formula for Combinations in Probability

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Each of 12 refrigerators of a certain type has been returned to a distributo because of the presence of a high pitched oscillating noise. Suppose that 5 of these 12 have defective compressors and the other 7 have less serious problems. If they are examined in random order, let X = the number among the first 6 examined that have a defective compressor. Compute the following:

P(x = 1)

E(X)

E(X^2)

2. Relevant equations (n choose k) = n!/k!(n-k)!

3. The attempt at a solution My random sample is 6, and there are 12 choose from. But I cant' seem to come up with a combination that makes any sense. (I'm just speaking specifically about trying to find P(x=1)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get one bad compressor in a sample of 6, you have to choose 1 from the group of 5 that have bad compressors and 5 from the group of 7 that don't. Then to get the probability you divide by the number of ways to choose 6 from the 12 sample total. How do you express that in combinations language?

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook