Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about Using the Formula for Combinations in Probability

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Each of 12 refrigerators of a certain type has been returned to a distributo because of the presence of a high pitched oscillating noise. Suppose that 5 of these 12 have defective compressors and the other 7 have less serious problems. If they are examined in random order, let X = the number among the first 6 examined that have a defective compressor. Compute the following:

P(x = 1)

E(X)

E(X^2)

2. Relevant equations (n choose k) = n!/k!(n-k)!

3. The attempt at a solution My random sample is 6, and there are 12 choose from. But I cant' seem to come up with a combination that makes any sense. (I'm just speaking specifically about trying to find P(x=1)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get one bad compressor in a sample of 6, you have to choose 1 from the group of 5 that have bad compressors and 5 from the group of 7 that don't. Then to get the probability you divide by the number of ways to choose 6 from the 12 sample total. How do you express that in combinations language?

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook