Question about what schedule pipe I should use for slackline

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of anchors for a slackline, with a design and parts list provided by the speaker's engineer father. The fabricator suggests using schedule 40 instead of schedule 160, but the speaker would rather err on the side of caution due to the anchors being placed near a pool and built into the deck. The speaker asks for suggestions on the type of pipe to use for the anchors and mounting. However, due to liability reasons, the thread has been closed and the speaker is advised to contact their home insurance carrier for extra liability coverage.
DJones
HI All,

I'm currently working on getting some anchors built for a slackline. These will be in ground and have removeable pipes to be hidden when not in use. I talked to my father who was an engineer for the better part of 40 years to get an initial design and parts list. I've posted what he drew up.

The fabricator has pushed back saying schedule 160 is overkill, which it very may well be, and we should consider just using schedule 40 but I'd rather be safe than sorry. These anchors are being place on either side of a pool, built in with the deck so failure would be more costly than just replacing anchors + pipe.

With this design, and a ~3' rise out of the ground of pipe, slickline connected at about 6" from the top. The total load on the line can range from about 500 lbs of force to about 1800 lbs of force for a single user. If multiple users that might increase upwards to 3000lbs of force depending on the preload of the line.

What would you suggest to use for the type of pipe for both the anchor sleeve and mounting pipe that get inserted into the anchor?

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 398
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, but due to liability reasons, we cannot help you with that project. The thread will remain closed.

You and your parents should also contact your home insurance carrier to discuss adding extra liability coverage for your slackline. It most likely is not covered by the standard home policy, especially if you will be allowing guests to use it.

1. What is the difference between schedule 40 and schedule 80 pipe?

Schedule refers to the thickness of the pipe walls. Schedule 40 pipe has thinner walls and is lighter and more flexible, while schedule 80 pipe has thicker walls and is sturdier. For slacklining, schedule 40 pipe is recommended as it can withstand the tension and weight without being too rigid.

2. How do I determine the length of pipe needed for my slackline?

The length of pipe needed will depend on the length of your slackline and the distance between your anchor points. Measure the distance between your anchor points and add an extra 2-3 feet on each end for the pipe to be secured. It is always better to have extra length than not enough.

3. Can I use PVC pipes for my slackline?

No, PVC pipes are not recommended for slacklining as they are not strong enough to withstand the tension and weight. They also have a tendency to shatter or break under pressure, which can be dangerous.

4. What is the best material for slackline pipes?

Galvanized steel pipes are the best option for slacklining as they are strong, durable, and resistant to rust and corrosion. They are also readily available in most hardware stores.

5. How do I secure the pipes to the anchor points?

The pipes can be secured to the anchor points using pipe clamps or U-bolts. These can be tightened around the pipe and anchor point to ensure a secure hold. It is important to regularly check and tighten the clamps to prevent any slippage.