1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about what this variance value means

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    i calculated the variance of a few measurements and i got the value of 3.65

i know the variance tells us the degree of dispersion from them ean value, and i came up with 3.65, what does this number say about the data?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you're dealing with a normal distribution, it tells you that about 69% of your values are within +/- 3.65 units of the mean.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3
    thank you

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
    I thought that in a normal distribution, 69% of your values are within +/- one standard deviation of the mean. So in this case, 68-69% of the data will be in the interval between [tex]\mu - \sqrt{3.65}[/tex] and [tex]\mu + \sqrt{3.65}[/tex], if your mean is [tex]\mu[/tex].

Variance is the average of the squares of the distance between your data and the mean. Like standard deviation, it also measures how spread out your data is.

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for the correction. The (population) variance is the square of the (population) standard deviation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook