Question about what this variance value means

Standard deviation is the square root of variance.In summary, the variance of 3.65 indicates that about 69% of the data is within +/- 3.65 units of the mean if dealing with a normal distribution. It is also the average of the squares of the distance between the data and the mean, similar to standard deviation. Additionally, the population variance is the square of the population standard deviation.
yopy
i calculated the variance of a few measurements and i got the value of 3.65

i know the variance tells us the degree of dispersion from them ean value, and i came up with 3.65, what does this number say about the data?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're dealing with a normal distribution, it tells you that about 69% of your values are within +/- 3.65 units of the mean.

Mark44 said:
If you're dealing with a normal distribution, it tells you that about 69% of your values are within +/- 3.65 units of the mean.

thank you

Mark44 said:

I thought that in a normal distribution, 69% of your values are within +/- one standard deviation of the mean. So in this case, 68-69% of the data will be in the interval between [tex]\mu - \sqrt{3.65}[/tex] and [tex]\mu + \sqrt{3.65}[/tex], if your mean is [tex]\mu[/tex].

Variance is the average of the squares of the distance between your data and the mean. Like standard deviation, it also measures how spread out your data is.

mathie.girl said:
I thought that in a normal distribution, 69% of your values are within +/- one standard deviation of the mean. So in this case, 68-69% of the data will be in the interval between [tex]\mu - \sqrt{3.65}[/tex] and [tex]\mu + \sqrt{3.65}[/tex], if your mean is [tex]\mu[/tex].

Variance is the average of the squares of the distance between your data and the mean. Like standard deviation, it also measures how spread out your data is.
Thanks for the correction. The (population) variance is the square of the (population) standard deviation.

1. What is variance and why is it important in science?

Variance is a statistical measure of how much the data values in a set vary from the mean. It is important in science because it provides information about the spread and distribution of data, which can help researchers understand and interpret their results.

2. How is variance calculated?

Variance is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each data value and the mean of the set. This calculation is known as the sum of squares divided by the number of data values.

3. What does a high or low variance value indicate?

A high variance value indicates that the data points in a set are spread out over a wider range, while a low variance value indicates that the data points are clustered closer to the mean. In other words, a high variance value means that there is a greater variability in the data, while a low variance value means that the data is more consistent.

4. How is variance used in hypothesis testing?

Variance is used in hypothesis testing to determine if there is a significant difference between two or more groups. By calculating the variance of each group, researchers can compare the variability within the groups to determine if there is a significant difference between them.

5. What are some common misconceptions about variance?

One common misconception is that a high variance value always means that the data is unreliable or inaccurate. However, a high variance value could also indicate a natural variation in the data. Another misconception is that a low variance value always indicates that the data is precise, but this may not always be the case if there are outliers or errors in the data. It is important to consider the context and other factors when interpreting variance values.