Question for STEM high school teachers — What do you like and dislike?

In summary: Thread locked for a bit until you send me a PM to let me know that you are willing to post your thoughts first. I do have some experiences I would like to share, but not until you go first.After a PM discussion with the OP, the thread is re-opened. I'm not able to tell what he wants, but hopefully within a few replies we'll be able to tell.
Josh0768
As a STEM teacher at a public high school, what are some things you like and dislike about your job?

Science news on Phys.org
Josh0768 said:
As a STEM teacher at a public high school, what are some things you like and dislike about your job?
Since you recently completed high school, maybe you can relate some of your experiences being a student in a public high school in STEM classes?

berkeman said:
Since you recently completed high school, maybe you can relate some of your experiences being a student in a public high school in STEM classes?
Maybe if someone creates their own question inquiring about what it’s like to be a student in a high school STEM class, I will. But for now, I would like answers from the teacher’s perspective.

It would have been better if you had answered my question, IMO. There is a reason behind it.

Thread locked for a bit until you send me a PM to let me know that you are willing to post your thoughts first. I do have some experiences I would like to share, but not until you go first.

Last edited:
After a PM discussion with the OP, the thread is re-opened. I'm not able to tell what he wants, but hopefully within a few replies we'll be able to tell.

@Josh0768 -- The point I was going to make is that it depends a lot on the type of school where you are teaching. There is a large difference between teaching in the public school system and in private schools in the US, in my experience. From an earlier thread:

berkeman said:
What grade levels do you want to teach? I'm assuming that you want to teach at the high school level? I'm not of any help on the certification requirements, but on the issue of challenging environments, I do know that teaching math or science in public high schools can be a frustrating endeavor. In my experience (as a parent watching some HS classes in recent years), the level of disinterest and disrespect of many public school students right now is pretty hard to deal with. Teaching in a private school would probably provide you a better set of students...

1. What are some of the things you enjoy most about teaching STEM in high school?

As a STEM high school teacher, I love seeing my students get excited about learning and applying their knowledge to real-world problems. I also enjoy the hands-on nature of STEM subjects, where students can actively engage in experiments and projects.

2. What challenges do you face as a STEM high school teacher?

One of the biggest challenges I face is keeping up with the constantly evolving field of STEM. This requires continuous learning and updating of my own knowledge and teaching methods. Another challenge is finding ways to make complex topics accessible and engaging for students of all levels.

3. What resources do you find most helpful in teaching STEM subjects?

I find that having access to quality resources, such as textbooks, online simulations, and hands-on materials, is crucial in teaching STEM subjects effectively. I also rely on professional development opportunities and collaboration with other teachers to stay up-to-date and enhance my teaching methods.

4. How do you incorporate technology into your STEM lessons?

Incorporating technology into STEM lessons is essential in today's world. I use various tools, such as interactive whiteboards, computer simulations, and coding programs, to enhance my lessons and engage students in hands-on learning. I also encourage students to use technology to research and present their projects.

5. What is your approach to promoting inclusivity and diversity in your STEM classroom?

I believe it is crucial to create a welcoming and inclusive classroom where all students feel comfortable and valued. To promote diversity, I incorporate a variety of perspectives and examples in my lessons and encourage collaboration among students from different backgrounds. I also address any instances of discrimination or bias immediately and have open discussions with my students about inclusivity and diversity.