Question from Jones-Groups,Reps and Physics

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the conductivity tensor and its decomposition into symmetric and antisymmetric parts. It also covers the transformation law for a tensor of rank 2 and how the decomposition of the tensor affects its transformation under rotations. The question asks about the significance of the transformation matrix D^{(V\otimes V)+}_{(ij),(kl)} and its relation to the symmetric part of the tensor.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm reading ch5 of jones about the conductivity tensor (p80 in my edition). He explains that the conductivity tensor is symmetric, and in general we can decompose any two index tensor into its antisymmetric and symmetric parts [tex] T_{ij}=T_{\{ij\}}+T_{[ij]} [/tex], where the symmetric part [tex] T_{[ij]}=\tfrac{1}{2}(T_{ij}-T_{ji})[/tex] and antisym part is [tex] T_{\{ij\}}=\tfrac{1}{2}(T_{ij}+T_{ji})[/tex]. Which is stuff I already know and am happy with.

He then goes on to give the transformation law for such a tensor of rank 2, as [tex] T^{'}_{ij}=D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl} [/tex], again I'm happy with this. However he then talks about how the antisym part and sym part of a tensor lie in invariant subspaces, transforming independently under rotations, and the transformation matrices (presumably of the antisym part and sym part) can be found by subbing the decomposition of the tensor into its antisym/sym parts into [tex] T^{'}_{ij}=D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl} [/tex].

So I try to do this:

The LHS:

[tex] T^{'}_{ij}=\tfrac{1}{2}(T^{'}_{ij}-T^{'}_{ji})+\tfrac{1}{2}(T^{'}_{ij}+T^{'}_{ji}) [/tex]
[tex] =\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}-D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il}T_{kl})+\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}+D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il}T_{kl}) [/tex]

He states that the matrices are:

[tex] D^{(V\otimes V)\pm}_{(ij),(kl)}=\tfrac{1}{2}\left[D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl} \pm D^{V}_{il}D^{V}_{jk} \right][/tex]

If I just take line 2 of my LHS:

[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}-D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il}T_{kl})+\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}+D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il}T_{kl}) [/tex]

and equate this with my RHS in the form [tex] D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl} [/tex] I find:

[tex] \left[\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}-D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il})+\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}+D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il})\right]T_{kl}=D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl} [/tex]

This does give the obvious [tex] D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}=\left[\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}-D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il})+\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}+D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il})\right] [/tex]

But this is just the decomposition of product rep into its sym and antisymmetric parts (wrt to i and j ), it's not as if the symmetric part of T transforms by [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)+}_{(ij),(kl)}[/tex] and the antisymmetric part transforms only by [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)-}_{(ij),(kl)} [/tex]. Which is what I thought the point was going to be...

I've checked how say the symmetric part transforms [tex] T^{'}_{[ij]}=\tfrac{1}{2}(T^{'}_{ij}-T^{'}_{ji})=\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}-D^{V}_{jk}D^{V}_{il}T_{kl})=\tfrac{1}{2}(D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}T_{kl}-D^{V}_{jl}D^{V}_{ik}T_{lk})=D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}\tfrac{1}{2}\left[T_{kl}-T_{lk}\right]=D^{V}_{ik}D^{V}_{jl}\tfrac{1}{2}T_{[kl]}\right] [/tex]. This isn't therefore according to [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)-}_{(ij),(kl)} [/tex] then.I'm rather lost at why the symmetric conductivity tensor should be invariant only under [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)+}_{(ij),(kl)} [/tex]

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if the above is a bit long winded, perhaps my question is lost in there somewhere. All I'm really wondering is why the conductivty tensor (or any symmetric tensor) would transform under [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)+}_{(ij),(kl)} [/tex]. It seems to me that it doesn't, but rather just transforms under the whole tensor product rep, and that [tex] D^{(V\otimes V)+}_{(ij),(kl)} [/tex] is of no significance except being the symmetric part of the product rep.

1. What is the Jones matrix in physics?

The Jones matrix is a mathematical representation of the polarization properties of an optical system. It is commonly used in the field of optics and photonics to describe the transformation of polarized light as it passes through various optical elements.

2. How is the Jones matrix related to group theory?

The Jones matrix is a 2x2 matrix that can be represented using the group theory concept of a group transformation. This allows for the manipulation and analysis of the Jones matrix using the principles of group theory, making it a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of polarized light.

3. What is the significance of the Jones matrix in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Jones matrix is used to describe the behavior of polarized light in terms of quantum states. This allows for a deeper understanding of the quantum properties of light and its interactions with matter.

4. How does the Jones matrix relate to representation theory?

The Jones matrix can be represented as a 2x2 representation of the special linear group, making it an important application of representation theory. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of the Jones matrix using the principles of representation theory.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Jones matrix?

The Jones matrix has a wide range of applications in various fields, including optics, photonics, quantum mechanics, and telecommunications. It is used in the design of optical elements, such as polarizers and waveplates, and in the analysis of polarized light in various systems.