Question involving coefficient of friction and force of friction

In summary, our teacher taught us that the force of friction is only affected by the coefficient of friction when there is an acceleration value involved.
Haptic9504

Homework Statement

"A 1250 kg slipper hippo slides down a mud covered hill inclined at an angle of 18 degrees to the horizontal. A) If the coefficient of friction is 0.0900, what force of friction impedes the hippo's motion down the hill? B) If the hill were steeper, how would this affect the coefficient of sliding friction?"

Homework Equations

mg x sin(θ)
mg x cos(θ)
ƩF = ma
μmg x sin(θ)
μmg x cos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Our professor/teacher taught us by just using mg x sin(θ) and plugging in the values. Someone in the class used the formula μmg x sin(θ) from a physics book and got a completely different answer than the teacher. So my main question is: Does coefficient of friction affect the force of friction and if so, would I use μmg x sin(θ)? I am confused because if the coefficient of friction doesn't affect the force of friction why bother list it in the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haptic9504 said:
So my main question is: Does coefficient of friction affect the force of friction
Of course.
and if so, would I use μmg x sin(θ)?
No. The kinetic friction force is μ*N, where N is the normal force. What's the normal force equal? (You need the normal component of the weight.)

Doc Al said:
No. The kinetic friction force is μ*N, where N is the normal force. What's the normal force equal? (You need the normal component of the weight.)
If I'm correct, the normal force is equal to the weight which equals Mass x Gravity. Therefore wouldn't μ(mg) be correct? The sin portion is in there due to an angle in the problem statement.

And a classmate just told me that the force of friction is only affected by the coefficient of friction when there is an acceleration value involved. Due to this problem not issuing a value for acceleration and our teacher notifying us of it being constant velocity earlier, does that coefficient even matter in this problem?

Haptic9504 said:
If I'm correct, the normal force is equal to the weight which equals Mass x Gravity. Therefore wouldn't μ(mg) be correct? The sin portion is in there due to an angle in the problem statement.
The normal force is equal to the component of the weight perpendicular to the surface, which is mgcosθ. Thus the friction will equal μmgcosθ. (mgsinθ is the component of the weight parallel to the surface.)
And a classmate just told me that the force of friction is only affected by the coefficient of friction when there is an acceleration value involved.
That's incorrect. The kinetic friction is proportional to the coefficient of friction.

Doc Al said:
The normal force is equal to the component of the weight perpendicular to the surface, which is mgcosθ. Thus the friction will equal μmgcosθ. (mgsinθ is the component of the weight parallel to the surface.)

That's incorrect. The kinetic friction is proportional to the coefficient of friction.
Okie dokie. Well thank you for solving my confusion. :wink:

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction that exists between two surfaces in contact. It is represented by the symbol μ and is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating maximum friction.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. This can be represented mathematically as μ = Ff / FN, where μ is the coefficient of friction, Ff is the force of friction, and FN is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact (rough or smooth), the weight of the object, the type of material the surfaces are made of, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction and the force of friction are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the coefficient of friction increases, so does the force of friction. This relationship is described by the equation Ff = μFN, where Ff is the force of friction and FN is the normal force.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. These substances create a thin layer between the surfaces, reducing the friction and making it easier for the surfaces to slide or move against each other. Additionally, using smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces can also reduce the coefficient of friction.