Question involving resistivity using the formula?

In summary, the resistivity of nichrome wire is 1.1 micro ohm meters. To find the length of wire needed to provide a resistance of 1.0 Kohm, the equation R=resistivity x length/area is used. The area in this case refers to the cross-sectional area of the wire, which can be calculated using its diameter. The correct answer for the length of wire is 4.5 meters.
einstein101

Homework Statement

The resistivity of nichrome wire is 1.1micro ohm meters. What length of wire of diameter 0.079 mm is required to provide resistance of 1.0 Kohm?

Homework Equations

R=resistivity x length/area

The Attempt at a Solution

1000ohms = ? x 0.0011/0.079

79 = ? x 0.0011

71818.18 = resistivity

I know I've stuffed up real bad, but this one is troubling me crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
einstein101 said:

Homework Statement

The resistivity of nichrome wire is 1.1micro ohm meters. What length of wire of diameter 0.079 mm is required to provide resistance of 1.0 Kohm?

Homework Equations

R=resistivity x length/area

What does "area " mean in the formula for resistance? What is the area for the 0.079 mm wire?

ehild

Area relates to the 0.079 mm of wire. In the question it doesn't say mm squared. the answer is supposed to be 4.5 meters.

The diameter of the wire is 0.079 mm. The cross-section of a wire is a circle usually. The area in the formula means the area of the cross section of the wire. ehild

I got 4.5m for the length.
I think you have mixed up the units.
resistiuvity = 1.1x10^-6ohm.metre
radius of wire = 0.0395x10^-3m

Thanks Emily I got the answer too now. You were right I was mixing the units up.

Hey Einstein...thanks...great help someone else

1. What is the formula for calculating resistivity?

The formula for calculating resistivity is ρ = R x A / L, where ρ is the resistivity, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the material.

2. How is resistivity different from resistance?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's intrinsic resistance to electric current, while resistance is a measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current.

3. What are the units of resistivity?

The units of resistivity are ohm-meters (Ω·m) or ohm-centimeters (Ω·cm).

4. How does temperature affect resistivity?

Generally, resistivity increases with an increase in temperature for most materials. This is because as temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more and impede the flow of electrons.

5. Can the resistivity of a material change?

Yes, the resistivity of a material can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the material. For example, the resistivity of a metal increases as the temperature increases, but the resistivity of a semiconductor decreases as the temperature increases.