1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of a Wire at varying temperatures

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the resistance of wire at room temperature and at the melting point of the given material.

GIVEN:
    Material = Aluminum
    Diameter of wire ##= 0.5 mm = 5.0 * 10^{-4} m##
    Length of wire ## = 0.5 m = 5.0 * 10^{-1} m##
    Temperature Coefficient: ##\alpha = 3.9 * 10^{-3}C^{-1}##
    Base Resistivity: ##\rho_{0} = 2.82 * 10^{-8} \Omega * m##
    Melting Point of Aluminum: ##T = 660.3^{\circ} C##
    Room Temperature: ## T_{0} = 20^{\circ} C##

2. Relevant equations

Variation of Resistivity w/ Temperature: ##\rho = \rho_{0}(1 + \alpha(\Delta T)##

Pouillet's Law: ##R = \rho * \frac{L}{A}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already finished working the problem out, but in doing so, I had to make a few assumptions I'm not sure are correct. Actually, I'm not even sure if my methodology is correct to begin with.

So, for the Resistance at room temperature, I assumed that the Resistivity given for Aluminum in my textbook is its resistivity at room temperature (not sure if that's right).

The second assumption I made is that the cross-sectional area A of a wire would be given by

$$ A = \pi r^2 = \pi *(\frac{5.0 * 10^{-4} m}{2})^{2}) = 2.0 * 10^{-7} m^{2}$$

Which is based purely on me picturing what each "slice" would look like if I were to cut across a wire an arbitrary number of times. Again, not sure if this is valid, but a circle seemed like the closest geometric shape to what I pictured.

If that's the case, then applying Pouillet's Law yields

$$ R_{room} = \rho_{0} * L/A = (2.82 * 10^{-8} \Omega * m)(\frac{5.0 * 10^{-1} m}{2.0 * 10^{-7} m^{2}}) = 7.1 * 10^{-2} \Omega$$

Then calculating the resistivity of the wire at the melting point I've got

$$ \rho_{mp} = (2.82 * 10^{-8} \Omega * m) + (2.82 * 10^{-8} \Omega * m)(3.9 * 10^{-3}C^{-1})(660.3^{\circ} C - 20^{\circ} C) = 9.9 * 10{-8} \Omega * m$$

So the Resistance of the wire at its melting point is

$$R_{mp} = \rho_{mp} * L/A = (2.82 * 10^{-8} \Omega * m)(\frac{5.0 * 10^{-1} m}{2.0 * 10^{-7} m^{2}}) = 2.5 * 10^{-1} \Omega$$

But is this correct? I can't help but feel like the Resistance of the wire should be higher at the melting point than at room temperature for some reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In your last equation line you seem to have copied in the wrong resistivity (ρ0 instead of ρmp), but I take it that's just a typo.
    The final answer looks reasonable (it is more than the room temperature resistance!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted