Calculate number of turns for an electric heater

  • Thread starter Thread starter MisterP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electric Heater
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MisterP
Messages
47
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Need to calculate, how many turns of nichrome wire do I need on a cylinder to make a heater with resistance of 40 Ω.
Wire diameter = 1mm
Cylinder radius = 2.5cm
R = 40 Ω
Wire diameter = 1mm
Correct answer - 200 turns

Homework Equations


R = ρ*l/S
R = resistance
ρ = specific resistance (I guess) and it is 1.1 Ω⋅mm2/m
l = length of wire
S = area of wire "cross section"

The Attempt at a Solution


Area of wire = Π*r2 = 3.14 * 0.52 = 0.785mm2
So I used this formula, but get nowhere close to 200 turns. 40 = 1,1l/0,785...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Solving that will give you a length. What is it in turns?
Yes, I know, but it does not add up to near "200" or 0,2 or something like that..
To calculate turns I did this: 3.14 * 5cm (2*r) = 15.7cm is for one turn.
So, 200 turns would be 3140cm.. where did I go wrong?

If I continue with "40 = 1,1l/0,785..." I get 28.57.. let`s just change it to 2857cm.. too short for answer..
 
Last edited:
MisterP said:
Yes, I know, but it does not add up to near "200" or 0,2 or something like that..
To calculate turns I did this: 3.14 * 5cm (2*r) = 15.7cm is for one turn.
So, 200 turns would be 3140cm.. where did I go wrong?

If I continue with "40 = 1,1l/0,785..." I get 28.57.. let`s just change it to 2857cm.. too short for answer..
The difference is about 10%, right?
Note that if you solve it algebraically first the πs cancel and you end up with 200/1.1. So to get 200, you have to take ρ as 1mm2/m.
Looking it up, I see it quoted as 1.1 to 1.5.
 
Last edited: