Calculate number of turns for an electric heater

In summary, the question is about calculating the number of turns of nichrome wire needed on a cylinder to create a heater with a resistance of 40 Ω. The wire diameter is 1mm and the cylinder radius is 2.5cm. Using the formula R = ρ*l/S, where R is resistance, ρ is specific resistance, l is length of wire and S is area of wire cross section, the solution is found to be 200 turns. However, the attempt at solving using the given specific resistance value of 1.1 Ω⋅mm2/m does not result in 200 turns, but rather around 10% less. It is suggested to use a value of 1mm2
MisterP

Homework Statement

Need to calculate, how many turns of nichrome wire do I need on a cylinder to make a heater with resistance of 40 Ω.
Wire diameter = 1mm
Cylinder radius = 2.5cm
R = 40 Ω
Wire diameter = 1mm
Correct answer - 200 turns

Homework Equations

R = ρ*l/S
R = resistance
ρ = specific resistance (I guess) and it is 1.1 Ω⋅mm2/m
l = length of wire
S = area of wire "cross section"

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of wire = Π*r2 = 3.14 * 0.52 = 0.785mm2
So I used this formula, but get nowhere close to 200 turns. 40 = 1,1l/0,785...

Physics news on Phys.org
MisterP said:
40 = 1,1l/0,785...
Solving that will give you a length. What is it in turns?

haruspex said:
Solving that will give you a length. What is it in turns?
Yes, I know, but it does not add up to near "200" or 0,2 or something like that..
To calculate turns I did this: 3.14 * 5cm (2*r) = 15.7cm is for one turn.
So, 200 turns would be 3140cm.. where did I go wrong?

If I continue with "40 = 1,1l/0,785..." I get 28.57.. let`s just change it to 2857cm.. too short for answer..

Last edited:
MisterP said:
Yes, I know, but it does not add up to near "200" or 0,2 or something like that..
To calculate turns I did this: 3.14 * 5cm (2*r) = 15.7cm is for one turn.
So, 200 turns would be 3140cm.. where did I go wrong?

If I continue with "40 = 1,1l/0,785..." I get 28.57.. let`s just change it to 2857cm.. too short for answer..
The difference is about 10%, right?
Note that if you solve it algebraically first the πs cancel and you end up with 200/1.1. So to get 200, you have to take ρ as 1mm2/m.
Looking it up, I see it quoted as 1.1 to 1.5.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the number of turns for an electric heater?

The number of turns for an electric heater can be calculated by dividing the required voltage by the voltage per turn. This will give you the total number of turns needed for the heater.

2. What is the voltage per turn for an electric heater?

The voltage per turn for an electric heater can be calculated by dividing the total voltage across the heater by the number of turns. This will give you the average voltage per turn.

3. How do I determine the required voltage for an electric heater?

The required voltage for an electric heater can be determined by considering the power output needed and the resistance of the heating element. The voltage can be calculated using the equation V = sqrt(P*R), where V is the voltage, P is the power output, and R is the resistance.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the number of turns for an electric heater?

Yes, the formula for calculating the number of turns for an electric heater is N = V/Vt, where N is the number of turns, V is the required voltage, and Vt is the voltage per turn.

5. Can I use the same number of turns for all types of electric heaters?

No, the number of turns needed for an electric heater will vary depending on the desired voltage, the resistance of the heating element, and the design of the heater. It is important to calculate the number of turns specifically for each type of heater.