Question involving trigonometry & river currents

In summary, the man starts out in a rowboat heading north from point A to point B on a river that flows due east. He rows at a steady speed of 0.75 m/s and reaches the opposite side of the river at point C, which is 150 m downstream from his starting point. Using the Pythagorean Theorem, we can calculate that the speed of the river is approximately 180.28 m/s. It takes the man approximately 240.36 seconds to reach the other side of the river. However, this is not the total time it took him to cross the entire width of the river as the current also played a role in moving him downstream.
kiraahhh
1. A man points his rowboat north from A to B, straight across a river of width 100 m. The river flows due east. The man starts across, rowing steadily at 0.75 m/s and reaches the other side of the river at point C, 150 m downstream from his starting point.
What is the speed of the river?

2. Pythagorean Theorem: a^2 + b^2 = c^2

3. 100^2 + 150^2 =
10000 + 22500 = 32500
square rt of 32500 = 180.277

after this I wasn't sure about what to do, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it take him to reach the other side?

It doesn't say, but I guess I could do the following:
250 / .75 which is 333.33 seconds.. ?

kiraahhh said:
It doesn't say, but I guess I could do the following:
250 / .75 which is 333.33 seconds.. ?

No - he just rowed straight across the river.

So then how do I figure that out? He went across 100 m north then 150 m across, how do I figure out how long it took him? 150 / .75 which is 200 seconds?

kiraahhh said:
So then how do I figure that out? He went across 100 m north then 150 m across, how do I figure out how long it took him? 150 / .75 which is 200 seconds?

He only rowed North, the current took him the 150m East.

Think of an ant walking across a 30cm wide conveyor belt. The ant only walks 30cm, though may end up 100+m from where it started, due to the movement of the conveyor belt.

oh! okay yeah so then 200 seconds? right? Or would you take the 180.27 / .75 ?
sorry if I keep dragging this I just want to be sure I got this

kiraahhh said:
oh! okay yeah so then 200 seconds? right? Or would you take the 180.27 / .75 ?
sorry if I keep dragging this I just want to be sure I got this

Not 200 either - you got theat when you divided 150 by 0.75.

so 180.27 / .75 = 240.36?
Am i approaching this correctly?

kiraahhh said:
so 180.27 / .75 = 240.36?
Am i approaching this correctly?

No!

Come back to the ant on the conveyor belt example.
If the ant crawls at 2 mm/sec, how long does it take to crawl across the 30 cm wide Conveyor belt?
How long would it take to crawl across the conveyor belt if the belt was moving?

The rower is the same.

When the rower is about to start out, he would be able to see the strip of water, 100m long, that he is going to row across, leading to the opposite bank.
If the river was actually a lake, that strip of water would just sit there. But it is a river, and the strip of water [along with the rest of the river] moves down stream at some speed.
He rows across the strip, the strip moves 150m down stream while he rows across his strip of water. At what speed was the strip of water - and the rest of the water in the river - moving downstream?

1. How is trigonometry used to calculate river currents?

Trigonometry is used to calculate river currents by using the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions help us determine the direction and magnitude of the current based on the angle and length of the river.

2. What information is needed to calculate river currents using trigonometry?

To calculate river currents using trigonometry, we need to know the distance between two points along the river, the angle of the current, and the speed of the current. This information can be obtained through measurements or by using maps and charts.

3. Can trigonometry be used to predict changes in river currents?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to predict changes in river currents. By using trigonometric calculations, we can determine how changes in distance, angle, or speed will affect the direction and magnitude of the current.

4. How does the shape of a river affect its currents?

The shape of a river can affect its currents in various ways. For example, a wider river may have slower currents compared to a narrower river with the same speed. The depth and slope of the river can also impact the strength and direction of the currents.

5. Are there any limitations to using trigonometry to calculate river currents?

While trigonometry can be a useful tool for calculating river currents, it has its limitations. Factors such as wind, tides, and other external forces can affect the accuracy of the calculations. It's important to consider these factors and use trigonometry in conjunction with other methods for a more comprehensive understanding of river currents.