Question on Conservation of Energy

In summary, Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues if the height at which he lands is at least 2.5 m greater than the height at which Jane released the vine.
itsjustwhoiam

Tarzan and Jane, whose total mass is 115.0 kg, start their swing on a 5.0 m long vine when the vine is at an angle of 30.0° with the horizontal. At the bottom of the arc, Jane, whose mass is 50.0 kg, releases the vine. What is the maximum height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues? (Hint: Treat Tarzan's and Jane's energies as separate quantities.)

Relevant equations:
1/2mv^2
mgh
sin, cos

I know that after she jumps, the energy is the same (conserved)
but how do i solve for height? The mass is less and that got me confused since gravity affects the height.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

An 85.0 N box of clothes is pulled 17.0 m up a 30.0° ramp by a force of 115 N that points along the ramp. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and ramp is 0.22, calculate the change in the box's kinetic energy.

KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf + Wfnc
1/mv^2
mgh
sin, cos

I started this pretty well, but here is what happened:

I calculated the components of the incline and got the parallel force and the perpendicular force. So from that i got the Normal force and then i used Fn * u to get Ffr and i multiplied that by 17, to get Wfnc.
but the problem is what i have to do with the net force, since there is 115 N-ffr-parallel force

and would PEi and KEf be zero? are we supposed to assume that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
itsjustwhoiam said:
Tarzan and Jane, whose total mass is 115.0 kg, start their swing on a 5.0 m long vine when the vine is at an angle of 30.0° with the horizontal. At the bottom of the arc, Jane, whose mass is 50.0 kg, releases the vine. What is the maximum height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues? (Hint: Treat Tarzan's and Jane's energies as separate quantities.)

All you need is the fact that the initial energy is going to equal the final energy.

The initial energy is the initial potential energies of both Tarzan and Jane. The final energy is the energy that Jane has when she let's go of the vine plus the energy that Tarzan is going to have after he swings alone.

The initial energy is mgh=(115 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(5 m-5 m sin30˚)=2817.5 J
(1225 J from Jane's 50 kg and 1592.5 J from Tarzan's 65 kg)

When Jane let's go of the vine, all her energy will be kinetic, she will take her 1225 J from the total energy, and Tarzan will have 1592.5 J left for his swing

This will get him 1592.5 J=(65 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(h)
h=2.5 m

Notice that this is the same as the initial height: Jane adds potential energy and the beginning but takes it away when she releases the vine, meaning for Tarzan, she could have just as well not been there.

thank you for explaining it clearly

BUT

what/why is the (5m-5m sin30)?

heres where i got lost:

115 * 9.8 * [sin(30)*5] = 563.5

but you got 2817.5, which is 5x greater?

why the extra 5*?

ohhhh
i see know
you did them separate as:

65*9.8*2.5 = 1592.5

and

50*9.8*2.5 = 1225

wow! thank you very much

wait am i right? or did you start with the total and how did you do that (why the 5 times)?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of physics and it helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems. It also plays a crucial role in sustainability and reducing our impact on the environment.

3. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

By conserving energy, we reduce the amount of natural resources needed to produce energy, such as fossil fuels. This helps to reduce air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation?

Some examples of energy conservation include using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and using renewable energy sources like solar or wind power.

5. Can energy be completely conserved?

No, energy cannot be completely conserved. Some energy will always be lost in the form of heat or other forms of energy during conversions or transfers. However, we can strive to conserve as much energy as possible to minimize waste and reduce our impact on the environment.