Question on Elements of Algebra by Euler

In summary, the conversation discusses the book of mathematician Euler and his explanation of the binomial theorem. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of obtaining older books on the subject matter and recommends newer sources, such as a website and a book called "Concrete Mathematics." Additionally, the conversation touches on the topic of combinatorics and its relation to probability and suggests other resources for further understanding.
fde645
I like this book very much. Euler is a brilliant mathematician no doubt. He explains everything very well without holding back significant information with his exposition. However, I bump into an unfamiliar topic. I do believe it has something to do with advanced mathematics. I googled it, and I believe it has some relation to the theory of combinations, to which unfortunately I am ignorant of. I don't know which branch of mathematics it falls into. Regardless of the title elements of algebra, this book is certainly not just any ordinary book, for which I like very well. Although, I am worried since I can't understand it, is it important to understand it now, or should I take it just to have a different set of perspective on things? (Since he uses this to explain the powers of a binomial, which I understand, but his method is somehow, I think it has something to do with other branch of mathematics.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just to define it precisely, It has something to do with the Binomial theorem. This is the first time I heard of such theorem. I didn't know there was a brilliant theorem, that aids in getting the powers of a binomial. So, the way Euler explained it, he invoked theory of combinations and permutations. If my intuition is correct this is for advanced mathematics, I just don't where it belongs. Should I just absorb it at this current time just to have a some knowledge of it since I am just broadening my knowledge on algebra, and after this book I would jump to Euclid's Elements.

The binomial theorem is of extreme importance. So I suggest you study it well. It seems like Euler explains it using combinatorics, which I think is the most elegant proof. There are other proofs as well. A common proof is by induction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem#Inductive_proof

Given my ignorance of combinatorics, and it seems that it is very difficult to obtain the books of Bernoulli and De Montmort on the subject matter. Does anyone have any advice on the books that explain the subject at hand? This has something to do with probability I suppose, So maybe this will be a good introduction to statistics.

fde645 said:
Given my ignorance of combinatorics, and it seems that it is very difficult to obtain the books of Bernoulli and De Montmort on the subject matter. Does anyone have any advice on the books that explain the subject at hand? This has something to do with probability I suppose, So maybe this will be a good introduction to statistics.

You seem to be very interested in old books, so forgive me if I recommend newer sources instead. Anyway, I am really intrigued by the following website:
http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/foundations/Counting.html
http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/foundations/Structures.html

It is everything you will need on the topic to understand the binomail theorem.

If you want more information, then you should consider the excellent book Concrete Mathematics: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201558025/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It has computer science on the cover, but don't let that fool you! The book is truly mathematical and extremely good!

Other sources would consist of discrete mathematics books. I don't know many of those, but I always liked Grimaldi: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201726343/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the books I am looking for thank you! I don't mind modern books at all. I don't know maybe I am old deep inside :)

1. What is the purpose of Euler's Elements of Algebra?

Euler's Elements of Algebra is a mathematical treatise that presents the fundamental concepts and principles of algebra in a systematic and comprehensive manner. Its purpose is to provide a clear and logical understanding of algebra and its applications, serving as a valuable resource for students and researchers in the field.

2. How does Euler's Elements of Algebra contribute to the development of algebra?

Euler's Elements of Algebra played a crucial role in the development of algebra as a branch of mathematics. It introduced new concepts and techniques, such as the use of letters to represent variables and the concept of complex numbers, which greatly expanded the scope and applicability of algebra.

3. What are the key topics covered in Euler's Elements of Algebra?

Some of the key topics covered in Euler's Elements of Algebra include arithmetic operations, equations and inequalities, polynomials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions. It also includes discussions on the use of algebra in geometry and calculus, as well as applications in physics and engineering.

4. How did Euler's Elements of Algebra impact future mathematical developments?

Euler's Elements of Algebra had a profound impact on future mathematical developments, particularly in the fields of number theory, algebraic geometry, and abstract algebra. It provided a solid foundation for future researchers to build upon and laid the groundwork for the development of modern algebra.

5. Is Euler's Elements of Algebra still relevant today?

Yes, Euler's Elements of Algebra is still relevant today as it covers fundamental concepts and principles that are still used in modern algebra. Its clear and concise presentation makes it a valuable resource for students and researchers, and its influence can still be seen in many areas of mathematics and other sciences.