1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Faraday's and Lenz's Law

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/snipu.jpg/

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The magnetic field in the bar magnet is directed to the right, but weakening in magnitude because the magnet is being moved far away from the loop. So by Lenz's law, the magnetic field created by the induced current must be to the right. That eliminates B,D, and E.
    But I don't understand how a force can be created on the loop. I know that the answer choice is actually C (the loop is attracted towards the magnet) but why should this be the case? Lenz's law is already accounted for, after all.

Free thanks to anyone who can provide an explanation!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    I'm not going to comment on answers because it's multiple choice. Think about how the field is created by the loop. There must be some induced current moving around the loop right? Magnetic fields exert force on current carrying wires. Hope that helps.

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    So you are saying that the magnetic field created by the induced current acts on the current to create a magnetic force? Yes, but why should that force be directed to the left? If I'm not mistaken the forces should be directed radially inward/outward but not towards the left...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook