1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on finding moment of inertia about the center of mass

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    So I have a question. I (moment of inertia) is basically mr^2 right? And r is supposed to be the distance from the axis of rotation. When the axis of rotation is directly through the center of mass, how is there Icm (moment of inertia about the center of mass). It's confusing to me, because so many problems demand using the Icm when the axis is through the center of mass. Wouldn't Icm be zero? But then they expect you to use the radius of the cylinder. The I of a solid cylinder is given as 1/2(Mr^2). Someone please help me. I think it might just be my lack of understanding.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is your lack of understanding. Just because the axis of rotation runs thru the c.o.m., it does not necessarily follow that the moment of inertia is automatically zero. Remember, I = m*r^2, and that r^2 is what is key to understanding why I is not zero.

As an example, let's say that I have four masses m arrayed about the origin:
    Mass 1 is located at (1,1)
    Mass 2 is located at (-1,1)
    Mass 3 is located at (-1,-1)
    Mass 4 is located at (1,-1)

Clearly, the c.o.m. is located at (0,0). Each mass is Sqrt(2) units from the origin.

MOI = SUM (mi * ri^2), for 1 = 1 to 4

The MOI = m1 * 2 + m2 * 2 + m3 * 2 + m4 * 2 = 4*m*2 = 8m

4. Apr 23, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The moment of inertia is only mr2 when the whole mass is at distance r from the axis, e.g. as would be the case for a small mass element of a larger body. To get the MI of an arbitrary object you need to integrate over these mass elements: ∫r2.dm. Since dm and r2 are both non-negative, the result never cancels out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted