1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on graph of Momentum vs Distance

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2nrok03.png

Well I think the answer is d because if the acceleration is constant then the distance should increase at a steady rate hence the straight line for d.

But my teacher says different his working is shown on the side of the question. He believes the answer is A.

another teacher says it is D . Can someone please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your teacher is right. Read the explanation. If the label on the horizontal axis were 'Time' instead of 'Distance' then D would be right. But it's not.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    Oh thank you.

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are wrong. If acceleration is constant, then velocity increases at a constant rate (that constant rate is the acceleration). The distance traveled then increases quadratically. That is A.
    (Strictly speaking that implies that the distance is a quadratic function of the time: [itex]x= (a/2)t^2[/itex] but the momentum is [itex]p= mv= mat[/itex] so [itex]t= p/ma[/itex] and then [itex]x= (a/2)t^2= (a/2)(p^2/m^2a^2)= (1/2m^2a)p^2[/itex].)

(Too late again! I shouldn't have stopped to check on my dinner!)

6. Jun 4, 2015 #5
    i dont have anything to add. i just wanted to know if that was a CAPE question paper?

7. Jun 4, 2015 #6
    Yes it was

8. Jun 4, 2015 #7
    oh, thats cool. i am doing the physics multiple choice exam tomorrow and i saw that question which i couldn't answer. i was very surprised to see the question here so i asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted