1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on graphing in the complex plane

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    Okay, I need to graph the following set in the complex plane:

M={z[tex]\in[/tex]C:[(1<|z-i|[tex]\leq[/tex]2) and (z[tex]\neq[/tex]2+i)] or [z = 1 + [tex]\pi[/tex]i]}

I got the last two constraints, but the first one is what's giving me trouble.

is z-i just x+yi that is (1,1) on the complex plane lowered by 1?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2
    The region described by [itex]1<|z-i|\leq 2[/itex] is the annulus centered at z=i with the inner radius 1 and outer radius 2 and you include the circle |z-i|=2 since you have a less than or equal sign.

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just to expand on n!kofeyn's response: |z| is the distance from 0 to z and so |z- a| is the distance from a to z. |z- i| is the distance from z to i. If |z-i|= 1, the distance from i to z is always 1 so this is a circle of radius 1 centered on i. If |z-i|= 2, this is circle of radius 2 centered on i. [itex]1< |z-i|\le 2[/itex], then, is the points between the two circles, an "annulus". Because |z-i|= 1 is NOT included, the inner boundary of the annulus is not included in the set but because |z- i|= 2 is included, the outer boundary of the annulus is part of the set.

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4
    Does this look right? Including the the 5 sets I had to determine.

Thanks!

PS I know it says Final Exam at the top, but I'm not cheating or anything its one from last year :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  6. Jul 7, 2009 #5
    Your picture is a little fuzzy, but it looks correct. You need a less than or equal to sign to include 1 for the set of limit points. The boundary |z-i|=1 is part of the set of limit points. Also, your complement is a little wrong. You are union-ing all the points that are not 1+pi*i, which is everything in the complex plane minus that one point! So fix your limit points and complement, and this solution should be good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook