How Can You Simplify the Calculation of a Complex Number Raised to a Power?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
TheColector
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
z = (1 +(√3 /2) + i/2)^24 → x=(1 +(√3 /2), y= 1/2
I think there must be some nice looking way to solve it.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
After using De Moivre's formula I got very awful result which was:
z = |z|^24 * (cos(24*θ) + i sin(24*θ))
Can you think of any better looking way to solve this ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TheColector said:
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
z = (1 +(√3 /2) + i/2)^24 → x=(1 +(√3 /2), y= 1/2
I think there must be some nice looking way to solve it.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
After using De Moivre's formula I got very awful result which was:
z = |z|^24 * (cos(24*θ) + i sin(24*θ))
Can you think of any better looking way to solve this ?
Have you tried simply squaring three times and cubing once?
 
TheColector said:
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
z = (1 +(√3 /2) + i/2)^24 → x=(1 +(√3 /2), y= 1/2
I think there must be some nice looking way to solve it.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
After using De Moivre's formula I got very awful result which was:
z = |z|^24 * (cos(24*θ) + i sin(24*θ))
Can you think of any better looking way to solve this ?

Work hard at determining ##\theta## as accurately as you can, because the result may surprise you. (Don't just give one or two decimal places; use as many places as is practical, or---even better----try for an "analytic", closed-form expression.)
 
TheColector said:
Hi
I was hoping some of you would give me a clue on how to solve this complex number task.
z = (1 +(√3 /2) + i/2)^24 → x=(1 +(√3 /2), y= 1/2
It's not clear to me what you're trying to do.
It appears that you want to write z in the form of x + iy. If so, x and y would not be as you show them above.
TheColector said:
I think there must be some nice looking way to solve it.
My way was to calculate |z| which was equal to [√(3+2√3)]/2 → cosθ = x/|z|, sinθ= y/|z|
After using De Moivre's formula I got very awful result which was:
z = |z|^24 * (cos(24*θ) + i sin(24*θ))
Can you think of any better looking way to solve this ?
In future posts, don't delete the homework template. Its use is required.
 
You can gain a lot of insight into the geometry by either squaring or cubing the expression then comparing the real and imaginary parts.
 
Sorry about deleting it. I won't do so in the future. What I meant with this → was to show the represenstative form of x and iy as a part of "z"
 
Better yet, consider the quantity that you raise to the 24th power, ##z_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i##. Can you find angle ##\varphi## such that ##z_1=e^{i \varphi}## ? Then raise to the 24th power.
 
kuruman said:
Better yet, consider the quantity that you raise to the 24th power, ##z_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i##. Can you find angle ##\varphi## such that ##z_1=e^{i \varphi}## ? Then raise to the 24th power.
Isn't that effectively what was tried in post #1? And it is 1+½√3+½i.
Looks like TheColector had trouble finding the angle. This is a lot easier after a single squaring or cubing.
 
haruspex said:
And it is 1+½√3+½i.
Sorry, I misread the parentheses. This makes the problem more interesting.
$$1+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}i=e^{2i\pi}+e^{i\pi/6}$$
Can you write this as the product of two terms?

(Edited to give less away)
 
Last edited: