Question on inorganic chemistry

In summary: BaCO3 which is quantitatively present.In summary, the student attempted to determine the composition of a mixture consisting of barium carbonate,dolomite,potassium carbonate, silicon dioxide by weighing the mixture, filtering and adding water, adding HCl and drying the resulting material. They then added CaCl2, MgCl2 and BaCl2 to the residue and did not know how to proceed from there.
leena19

Homework Statement

You are supplied with a mixture consisting of barium carbonate,dolomite,potassium carbonate and silicon dioxide.Explain how you would attempt to determine quantitatively each of the constituents present in this mixture

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I Weigh the mixture.

Then,since potassium carbonate would dissolve in water as all group 1 compounds are soluble, I first add water,and filter.The filtrate contains dissolved potassium carbonate,which I dry,weigh and calculate its % composition
To the residue I add HCl,so the SiO2 remains which i later dry and weigh?
and in the filtrate I get CaCl2,MgCl2and BaCl2.
I don't know how to proceed from here.I'm tempted to add NaOH,but then all 3 i.e,Ca(OH)2,Ba(OH)2 and Mg(OH)2 would precipitate,and I wouldn't be able to separate them?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If wiki is right then dolomite means CaMg(CO3)2 that means echimolar conposition of the two. By weighing the rest after removal of Sio and KCO3 than a simple 2 unknowns equation will suffice.

I knew that dolomite was made of CaCO3 and MgCO3 but I didn't know they were each equimolar in composition,so thank you very much for that useful info.
Now I think I can manage to solve this problem easily if only I knew how to remove BaCO3 from the mixture,without affecting the composition of dolomite.

I hope someone can help.

Is it necessary to remove each compound from the mixture or just to determine it's composition. Because in the case of the composition you already made enough transformations. You have the weight and the mole number of the CaCl2, MgCl2 and BaCl2 as you know how much HCl you reacted in the SiO2 separation.

http://www.mineralszone.com/minerals/dolomite.html" on a forum!

It occurs to me that you should research the solubilities of barium salts... and don't limit yourself to the chlorides.

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
http://www.mineralszone.com/minerals/dolomite.html" on a forum!

It occurs to me that you should research the solubilities of barium salts... and don't limit yourself to the chlorides.

Don't know where you are going with this as the mass % in the site still point to echimolarity of dolomite. Further separation is still not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lok said:
Don't know where you are going with this as the mass % in the site still point to echimolarity of dolomite.

It doesn't. Equimolar is only an ideal case, real life samples don't have to be ideal.

In nature, considerable variations in the composition of dolomite relating to lime and magnesia percentages are found.

I am afraid question is unfortunate, as it is not necesarilly clear what to make of the 'dolomite' information - it means either 'equimolar mixture of Mg/Ca', or 'some mixture of Mg/Ca'.

If we question the purity of every compound ... then what is the point of it. Every step of the analysis will have it's tolerances.
Unless mass spectrometry or other means are present.

Dolomite is not a compound, dolomite is a mineral. Barium carbonate is a compound and nobody questions its purity. Minerals are rarely pure compounds.

Borek said:
Dolomite is not a compound, dolomite is a mineral. Barium carbonate is a compound and nobody questions its purity. Minerals are rarely pure compounds.

True to these words. This means that all reactions till now have to account for dolomite's impurities.

There is a limit to this so called helping process ... But I'll get you a beer someday Borek.

I don't really know what I should do really,cause

I've attempted another question related to dolomite(which I'm hoping i could solve after completiing this).In that question,it states"A large quantity of dolomite containing silica as the only impurity is provided" ,so I have a feeling they would have mentioned it if the sample was impure,but I'm not very sure

But I also feel that it may not be very accurate to take dolomite as an equimolar mixture of CaCO3 and MgCO3,

so I think its best to avoid the equimolar part and also to ignore any impurities found in dolomite cause afterall we're only asked to find quantitatively each of the constituents present(I could be wrong but we're not really asked to find the composition of MgCO3 and CaCO3 seperately right?i don't know if this is even possible but wouldn't it be just enough to find the mass of dolomite as a whole?or is this what you all have been saying so far?I can't really makeout what's going on :( )

chemisttree said:
I researched and i don't know for sure but here's what I think,
To the chloride filtrate I obtained in my first post I add excess sulphuric acid.Then I get a precipitate of BaSO4 which I filter ,dry and weigh and calculate the no. of moles which is equal to that of barium carbonate and in the filtrate I have MgCl2/CaCl2 ?
And since I now have the weights of potassium carbonate,SiO2 and BaCO3,I can substract their weights from the initial weight of the mixture to find the weight of dolomite,perhaps?

What is inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of inorganic compounds, which are substances that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds. It focuses on the structure, properties, and reactions of these compounds.

What are some examples of inorganic compounds?

Some examples of inorganic compounds include salts, metals, minerals, and acids. These compounds can be found in many everyday items such as table salt, iron, calcium carbonate, and sulfuric acid.

What is the difference between inorganic and organic chemistry?

The main difference between inorganic and organic chemistry is that organic chemistry is the study of compounds that contain carbon-hydrogen bonds, while inorganic chemistry is the study of compounds that do not contain these bonds. Organic compounds are typically associated with living organisms, while inorganic compounds are found in non-living matter.

Why is inorganic chemistry important?

Inorganic chemistry is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of many substances that are essential for our daily lives. It is also crucial in the development of new materials, medicines, and technologies that improve our quality of life.

What are some common applications of inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry has many applications, some of which include industrial processes, environmental studies, energy production, and materials science. It is also used in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and cosmetics.