Question on limits and little-o notation

In summary, the conversation was about the use of little-o notation in the proof of a theorem in Fourier theory. The author of the book used the notation \omega F(\omega) = o(|\omega|^{-1}) and then deduced directly that F(\omega) = o(|\omega|^{-2}). There was a discussion about the validity of this last step and different interpretations of the notation were presented. However, it was still unclear how the author arrived at the final conclusion.
mnb96
Hello,

I was studying the theorem of smoothness/compactness in Fourier theory and at the very last step of the proof one gets the result that [itex]\omega F(\omega)\to 0[/itex] when [itex]x\to \infty[/itex]. The author of the book writes this result in little-o notation as: [tex]\omega F(\omega) = o(|\omega|^{-1})[/tex] which I understand, but then he deduces directly that: [tex]F(\omega)=o(|\omega|^{-2})[/tex]. Can anyone explain this last step? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide both sides by omega.

Hi Simon,

if I am not wrong the little-o notation is just a notation and I assume it cannot always be treated as a ordinary equation. The notation [itex]f(x) = o(g(x))[/itex] should be equivalent to the statement: [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=0[/tex]
If that is true then we have: [tex] \lim_{x\to \infty} \omega F(\omega)=0 [/tex] and dividing numerator and denominator by [itex]\omega[/itex] we get: [tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{F(\omega)}{\omega^{-1}}=0 [/tex] which according to the definition above should be written as: [tex]F(\omega) = o(\omega^{-1})[/tex] which is not the expected result.

f(x)=o(g(x)) means that f grows slower than cg

if wF(w) grows slower than 1/|w| then F(w) must grow slower than ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_O_notation
http://www.math.caltech.edu/~2010-11/1term/ma001a1/bigolittleo.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
mnb96 said:
Hi Simon,

if I am not wrong the little-o notation is just a notation and I assume it cannot always be treated as a ordinary equation. The notation [itex]f(x) = o(g(x))[/itex] should be equivalent to the statement: [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=0[/tex]
If that is true then we have: [tex] \lim_{x\to \infty} \omega F(\omega)=0 [/tex]
This makes no sense. Do you mean [itex]\lim_{\omega\to\infty} \omega F(\omega)= 0[/itex]?

and dividing numerator and denominator by [itex]\omega[/itex] we get: [tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{F(\omega)}{\omega^{-1}}=0 [/tex]
? No, dividing both sides of [itex]\lim_{\omega\to\infty}\omega F(\omega)= 0[/itex] by [itex]\omega[/itex] gives [itex]\lim_{\omega\to\infty}F(\omega)= 0[/itex].

If you are thinking of [itex]\omega F(\omega)[/itex] as a fraction with denominator 1, "Dividing both numerator and denominator by [itex]\omega[/itex]" gives [tex]\frac{F(\omega)}{\omega}[/tex]. That is, the denominator is [itex]\omega[/itex], not [itex]\omega^{-1}[/itex].

which according to the definition above should be written as: [tex]F(\omega) = o(\omega^{-1})[/tex] which is not the expected result.

Hi HallsofIvy,
thanks for your reply. I haven't had time to come back to this earlier.
HallsofIvy said:
This makes no sense. Do you mean [itex]\lim_{\omega\to\infty} \omega F(\omega)= 0[/itex]?

Yes. Sorry, I meant to write: [tex]\lim_{\omega \to \infty}\omega F(\omega)=0[/tex]
HallsofIvy said:
If you are thinking of [itex]\omega F(\omega)[/itex] as a fraction with denominator 1, "Dividing both numerator and denominator by [itex]\omega[/itex]" gives [tex]\frac{F(\omega)}{\omega}[/tex]. That is, the denominator is [itex]\omega[/itex], not [itex]\omega^{-1}[/itex].

Uhm...I am not sure about this claim. What I wanted to say was:
[tex]\lim_{\omega\to\infty} \omega F(\omega)=\lim_{\omega\to\infty} \frac{\omega F(\omega)}{1} = \lim_{\omega\to\infty} \frac{\frac{1}{\omega}\omega F(\omega)}{\frac{1}{\omega}1} = \lim_{\omega\to\infty} \frac{F(\omega)}{\frac{1}{\omega}} = \lim_{\omega\to\infty} \frac{F(\omega)}{\omega^{-1}}=0 [/tex]

As you see, the rightmost equality seems to imply that: [tex]F(\omega) = o(|\omega|^{-1})[/tex] but according to the textbook it should be: [itex]F(\omega) = o(|\omega|^{-2})[/itex]. It is stilll totally unclear how the author arrived at this last conclusion.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the given value, but may never actually reach.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you must evaluate the function at values very close to the given input value. This can be done by using a table, graph, or algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying. If the function approaches a single value as the input gets closer and closer, then that value is the limit of the function.

3. What is little-o notation?

Little-o notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to represent functions that approach a limit faster than another function. In other words, if f(x) is little-o of g(x), then f(x) grows much slower than g(x) as x approaches a certain value.

4. How is little-o notation used in calculus?

In calculus, little-o notation is used to describe the rate of change of a function. It is commonly used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence. It is also used in the definition of derivatives and to determine the order of growth of a function.

5. What are the properties of little-o notation?

The properties of little-o notation include:

• If f(x) is little-o of g(x), then f(x) is also big-O of g(x).
  • If f(x) is little-o of g(x), then g(x) is not little-o of f(x).
  • If f(x) is little-o of g(x) and g(x) is little-o of h(x), then f(x) is little-o of h(x).
  • If c is a constant and f(x) is little-o of g(x), then cf(x) is also little-o of g(x).
  • If f(x) is a polynomial of degree n, then f(x) is little-o of x^n as x approaches infinity.