Question on # of possible rearrangements given conditions

  • Thread starter Thread starter thelannonmonk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conditions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
thelannonmonk
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. How many ways are there to rearrange the letters of INVESTIGATION given that the first letter is a V and the last letter is not a T?

I get the first part, first letter being V cuts the # of combinations from 13! to 12!, but how do I handle the part about the last letter not being T? Most of what I have found online doesn't really relate to this particular issue.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many possibilities do you have for the last letter? And then before the last one?

ehild
 
12! is the number of permutations in which we allow both T and non-T as the last letter. Can you count the number in which T *is* the last letter?

RGV