• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Struggling to re-arrange exponential equation

• Thread starter Rusty789
  • Start date

Homework Statement

i = 12.5(1-e-t/CR)

Current = i
Resistance = R
Capacitance = C
Time = t

Firstly i had to calculate the current flowing after 0.5s, given a 30k[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistance and a 20µF capacitance.. easily done.

Then i had to work out how long it took to reach 10A, so rearranging the formula with natural logs right? So rearranging to work out t.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've done it three times now (different each time just incase i made a stupid error) but forgot to bring my paper work with me but both times I've ended up with a -t and when i put in the numbers it doesnt equal what i'm expecting or the calculator comes up with a math error, from trial and error i'm expecting 966ms or 0.966s. I've done the previous question in which just had letters, so i tried transposing the groups of numbers for letters then working it out after aswell but that didnt work either!

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What is your formula for t after performing the steps to find its formula? Best would be to first treat the exponential term as a variable and solve for it; and then find logarithm of both sides to continue for a formula for t.

I can only remember one of the ways i did it, as said i forgot to bring my paper work with me! :uhh:

I first rearranged it to give me:

(i/12.5)-1 = e-t/CR

Which then i made the left hand side of the equation G to make it easier for me (this may be were i went wrong on this one) i did do it another way without doing this but i can't remember it at all..

lnG = lne-t/CR

lnG = -t/CR

lnG * (CR) = -t

I've found a few more notes online of which look promising, so im going to go and give that a go, from the notes i've found i've done it completely wrong.

That's correct.

edit: Never mind, Char. Limit is right. You dropped a negative sign in front of your exponential

Char. Limit
Gold Member
I can only remember one of the ways i did it, as said i forgot to bring my paper work with me! :uhh:

I first rearranged it to give me:

(i/12.5)-1 = e-t/CR

Which then i made the left hand side of the equation G to make it easier for me (this may be were i went wrong on this one) i did do it another way without doing this but i can't remember it at all..

lnG = lne-t/CR

lnG = -t/CR

lnG * (CR) = -t

I've found a few more notes online of which look promising, so im going to go and give that a go, from the notes i've found i've done it completely wrong.
Well there's your problem. There should be a negative sign before that exponential.

I've done this now, thanks for the help.