Struggling to re-arrange exponential equation

• Thread starter Rusty789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the formula for t in the equation i = 12.5(1-e-t/CR) and the process of rearranging the equation to solve for t. The conversation also mentions trying different methods and making mistakes, but ultimately reaching the correct solution.
Rusty789

Homework Statement

i = 12.5(1-e-t/CR)

Current = i
Resistance = R
Capacitance = C
Time = t

Firstly i had to calculate the current flowing after 0.5s, given a 30k[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistance and a 20µF capacitance.. easily done.

Then i had to work out how long it took to reach 10A, so rearranging the formula with natural logs right? So rearranging to work out t.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've done it three times now (different each time just incase i made a stupid error) but forgot to bring my paper work with me but both times I've ended up with a -t and when i put in the numbers it doesn't equal what I'm expecting or the calculator comes up with a math error, from trial and error I'm expecting 966ms or 0.966s. I've done the previous question in which just had letters, so i tried transposing the groups of numbers for letters then working it out after as well but that didnt work either!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your formula for t after performing the steps to find its formula? Best would be to first treat the exponential term as a variable and solve for it; and then find logarithm of both sides to continue for a formula for t.

I can only remember one of the ways i did it, as said i forgot to bring my paper work with me! :uhh:

I first rearranged it to give me:

(i/12.5)-1 = e-t/CR

Which then i made the left hand side of the equation G to make it easier for me (this may be were i went wrong on this one) i did do it another way without doing this but i can't remember it at all..

lnG = lne-t/CR

lnG = -t/CR

lnG * (CR) = -t

I've found a few more notes online of which look promising, so I am going to go and give that a go, from the notes I've found I've done it completely wrong.

That's correct.

edit: Never mind, Char. Limit is right. You dropped a negative sign in front of your exponential

Rusty789 said:
I can only remember one of the ways i did it, as said i forgot to bring my paper work with me! :uhh:

I first rearranged it to give me:

(i/12.5)-1 = e-t/CR

Which then i made the left hand side of the equation G to make it easier for me (this may be were i went wrong on this one) i did do it another way without doing this but i can't remember it at all..

lnG = lne-t/CR

lnG = -t/CR

lnG * (CR) = -t

I've found a few more notes online of which look promising, so I am going to go and give that a go, from the notes I've found I've done it completely wrong.

Well there's your problem. There should be a negative sign before that exponential.

I've done this now, thanks for the help.

What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which one or more variables appear in exponents. It has the general form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

Why is it difficult to re-arrange an exponential equation?

Re-arranging an exponential equation can be difficult because the variable is in the exponent, making it more challenging to isolate and solve for. Additionally, there are often multiple variables and constants involved, making it a more complex problem to solve.

What are some strategies for re-arranging an exponential equation?

One common strategy is to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This can help to bring the variable out of the exponent and make it easier to solve for. Another strategy is to use the properties of exponents, such as multiplying or dividing both sides by a certain base to get the variable out of the exponent.

Are there any restrictions when re-arranging an exponential equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions to keep in mind when re-arranging an exponential equation. For example, the base of the exponential term cannot be negative, since logarithms are only defined for positive numbers. Additionally, any values that result in taking the logarithm of 0 or a negative number are not valid solutions.

What are some real-world applications of exponential equations?

Exponential equations are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and physics. Some examples of real-world applications include compound interest calculations, population growth and decay, and radioactive decay. Exponential equations are also commonly used in modeling and predicting natural phenomena, such as the spread of diseases or the growth of bacteria.