1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and combinatrics with words

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    4. An experiment consists of randomly rearranging the 9 letters of the word
    TARANTULA into a sequence of 9 letters, where all possible orders of these 9 letters are equally
    likely. Find the probability of each of the following events:

(a) the first three letters include no A's;
    (b) the first three letters or the last three letters (or both) include no A's;
    (c) the fourth letter is the first A;
    (d) the first letter and the last letter are the same;
    (e) the word `TARANTULA' is obtained;
    (f ) the sequence contains the word `RAT'.

Attempt at solutions :

a) 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 (Probability of first non A * another non A letter * another non A letter)

b) 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 + ( I am stuck I don't get it - I think it might just be 2 * anser of part a but I'm unable to think it through, I know though that if first 3 and last 3 have no A's, then middle will have all A's so it becomes more weird )

c) 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 ( Prob. in a * probability of 4th letter being A in the scenario of question a)

d) 5/9 * 1/8 + 5/9 * 2/8 (Probability of choosing a repeatable letter * probability of second letter coming up for both T and A since R U L N are not repeatable)

e) 1/9!

f) After working it out on paper it seems there are 6 permutations of RAT so 6 * 1/9!

I am still not sure if these are correct and I know there must be a better way of doing these using combination formula so I would be greatful if someone could help me out.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    Anyone? Please this is from a past paper that I am attempting since I have an exam on monday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook