Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on orthogonal eigenfunctions

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    in this book I have by G.L Squires. One of the questions is:

if [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and [tex]\phi[/tex]2 are normalized eigenfunctions corresponding to the same eigenvalue. If:
    [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]1*[tex]\phi[/tex]2 d[tex]\tau[/tex] = d

where d is real, find normalized linear combinations of [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and
    [tex]\phi[/tex] 2 that are orthogonal to a) [tex]\phi[/tex] 1 b) [tex]\phi[/tex]1 + [tex]\phi[/tex]2

the part I'm having trouble with is finding a linear combination. The book gives: c1phi1 + c2phi2 (to shorten it) as the linear combo but yeah, whats the deal with that. they give a solution for a but yeah what is going on there. whats the process involved. yes, I am basically asking for a "tutor" so to speak, so I am n0t asking for any old person to help me but someone who is willing to explain it without becoming angry that I know not of such things.
    thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let L be the linear combination (depends on c1 and c2). In both cases you have one (of two) equation L.L=1.
    (. means dot product, which is the integral you described).

For a) the other equation is L.φ1=0.
    For b) the other equation is L.(φ12)=0

You wil have in both cases two equations in two unknowns (c1 and c2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook