Question on orthogonal eigenfunctions

In summary: The results will be:c2 = -c1.(φ1.φ1+φ1.φ2)/(φ2.φ2+2φ1.φ2+φ1.φ2)c1 = -2c2.(φ1.φ2+φ2.φ2)/(φ1.φ1+φ1.φ2+2φ2.φ2)In summary, the book suggests finding normalized linear combinations of \phi1 and \phi2 that are orthogonal to \phi1 and \phi1 + \phi2 by using L.L=1 and L.φ1=0 or L.(φ1+φ2)=0 as equations and solving for c1 and c2
mt8891
in this book I have by G.L Squires. One of the questions is:

if [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and [tex]\phi[/tex]2 are normalized eigenfunctions corresponding to the same eigenvalue. If:
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]1*[tex]\phi[/tex]2 d[tex]\tau[/tex] = d

where d is real, find normalized linear combinations of [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and
[tex]\phi[/tex] 2 that are orthogonal to a) [tex]\phi[/tex] 1 b) [tex]\phi[/tex]1 + [tex]\phi[/tex]2the part I'm having trouble with is finding a linear combination. The book gives: c1phi1 + c2phi2 (to shorten it) as the linear combo but yeah, what's the deal with that. they give a solution for a but yeah what is going on there. what's the process involved. yes, I am basically asking for a "tutor" so to speak, so I am n0t asking for any old person to help me but someone who is willing to explain it without becoming angry that I know not of such things.
thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let L be the linear combination (depends on c1 and c2). In both cases you have one (of two) equation L.L=1.
(. means dot product, which is the integral you described).

For a) the other equation is L.φ1=0.
For b) the other equation is L.(φ12)=0

You wil have in both cases two equations in two unknowns (c1 and c2).

1. What is the definition of orthogonal eigenfunctions?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions are a set of functions that satisfy the conditions of orthogonality and eigenvalue equations. They are commonly used in linear algebra and functional analysis to solve problems involving differential equations and linear operators.

2. How are orthogonal eigenfunctions different from other types of eigenfunctions?

The main difference between orthogonal eigenfunctions and other types of eigenfunctions is that they are orthogonal to each other, meaning their inner product is equal to zero. This property allows for easier manipulation and simplification of equations involving these functions.

3. What is the importance of orthogonal eigenfunctions in mathematics and science?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics and science, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and Fourier analysis. They allow for the decomposition of complex functions into simpler, orthogonal components, making problem-solving and analysis more efficient.

4. Can orthogonal eigenfunctions exist in non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, orthogonal eigenfunctions can exist in non-Euclidean spaces. In fact, they are commonly used in non-Euclidean geometries and spaces, such as hyperbolic and spherical geometries, to solve differential equations and other mathematical problems.

5. How are orthogonal eigenfunctions related to the concept of symmetry?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions are closely related to the concept of symmetry. In physics, for example, symmetries in the physical laws are often represented by orthogonal eigenfunctions. In mathematics, symmetries can be described and analyzed using the properties of orthogonal eigenfunctions.