1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Simple Harmonic Motion.

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100g particle hangs freely at rest on the end of a spring of stiffness 10N/m. If
    the particle is projected upwards with a speed of 2m/s, find the time taken until
    it first comes to rest and the distance travelled.

2. Relevant equations

Well, there's F = -k.x and of course the classic F = ma .. and the normal linear motion equations? And the conservation of energy too I think...

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, well first off this is probably wrong because I suck at Simple Harmonic Motion, but this is what I did:

I started off by finding the distance between L0 and the equilibrium position, by using m.a = k.x .... and got x = (0.1)(9.8)/(10) =0.098.

Hence, I did the following:
    (0.5)(k)(x^2) + (0.5)(m)(u^2) = (0.5)(m)(V^2) ... and got V to equal 2.2272 m/s.

Then, I assumed that normal motion would resume and used "v=u+at" and "(v^2-u^2)/2a = s" to calculate the rest. I obtained t = 0.227 s and s = 0.2531 m

There are no answers available for this question unfortunately, and I've an exam on this topic tomorrow, so I was hoping that someone on this that understands SHM could help me if I'm doing this wrong? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You didn't need to do any of this. The first sentence says the mass "hangs freely at rest." This means that the spring has already been stretched to the new equilibrium position, and the mass is just sitting there.

These equations only apply to cases of constant acceleration. They don't apply to simple harmonic motion because the force exerted by the spring is constantly changing.

Take a look at the top diagram on http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html. Based on the givens in this problem, where in the cycle is the particle initially? Is it at the top, the bottom, the middle, or somewhere else? Explain your reasoning for your answer.

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But what do you think this speed you have calculated represents?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook