1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Sliding/rolling spherical ball

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius R = 11 cm along a lane. The ball (the figure) slides on the lane with initial speed vcom,0 = 7.8 m/s and initial angular speed ω0 = 0. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is 0.13. The kinetic frictional force http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c11/low_fvec.gifkacting on the ball causes a linear acceleration of the ball while producing a torque that causes an angular acceleration of the ball. When speed vcom has decreased enough and angular speed φ has increased enough, the ball stops sliding and then rolls smoothly. During the sliding, what are the ball's (a) linear acceleration and (b) angular acceleration? (c) How long does the ball slide? (d) How far does the ball slide? (e) What is the linear speed of the ball when smooth rolling begins? Note that the clockwise direction is taken as negative.

2. Relevant equations
    Second Laws: F=m*a and. Torque=I*angular acceleration

I=(2/5)mR^2 ------ this I am not sure. This is probs where i went wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a, I used newtons second law
    -m*a=friction force
    thus a=-frictionconstant * 9.8=-1.274

Part b,
    I had this expression, Iα=R*μ*m*g
    where i too I to be I=(2/5)mR^2
    and i got α=28.9545
    But this is WRONG

Part C i got 1.74927... which is correct
    Part D is wrong followed by the wrong answer from part B
    Part e i got the right answer

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with the magnitude of the angular acceleration you got for part b, but note the instruction that clockwise is to be taken as negative. Relate that to the picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted