1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on the relationship between intensity of sound, amplitude and 1/r^2

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose sound wave is emitted uniformly in all directions by a speaker.

At a distance of 1.1m, the amplitude of it sound is 1.2x10^-8m

What is the amplitude of sound at a distance of 1.7m?

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I'm confused is why does the amplitude of sound change? Isn't intensity = Power/Area? So at a greater distance, it just means that intensity is lowered. But power from a source is always constant isn't that right? And since power is proportional to amplitude squared, why does the amplitude decrease? am i missing out something?

The answer is 7.8x10^-9 using the relationship of intensity proportional to amplitude^2 and 1/r^2 if you are curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Lower intensity at some specific point corresponds to a lower amplitude at that point. Meters as unit looks odd, I would expect Pa (pressure), but that should be irrelevant.
    Constant in which way? I think you mean the total power here.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Ahh okay. I think i get it now after reading your post and thinking for so many hours.

Firstly, the formula intensity = power/area gives the power at a particular point. If we were to sum all the points ( surface area of a sphere), we would get the total power of the source, which is always constant

Hence, as distance increases, the intensity at a point decreases, meaning power at the specific point decreases, and so amplitude decreases, as you have mentioned.

Thank you! now i can get a good night's sleep haha..... assuming i am correct

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is right.
    Small issue: "Power at a specific point" is not meaningful. Intensity is. If you integrate that, you get a power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook