1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factors affecting sound intensity

1. Aug 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the factor affecting sound intensity is amplitude and frequency . why not also the distance from the source (r) ,

in my opinion, intensity = power/area , so the intensity = power/ 4 pi r ^2 .... so I is inversely proportional to r^2 ...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The amplitude and intensity are related. So as distance from the source increases, both amplitude and intensity drop.

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3
    do you mean the intensity and 'distence from the source ' is not directly related , so i cant say that Intensuty is directly proportional to 1/'distence from the source' ?

5. Aug 3, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For a point source, the intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. See: Inverse Square Law for Sound

6. Aug 3, 2014 #5
    the link also gives the intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So why cant i say intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance? but i can only say the factor affecting sound intensity is amplitude and frequency which means Intensity is directly proportional to amplitude square and frequncy square

7. Aug 3, 2014 #6
    or can I say in this way? as the distance from the source incraeses , the amplitude of particle at a partcular point decreases . the decreases in the amplitude causes the intensity to drop? so the Intensity is dependent on amplitude square. beacuse intensity has a 'direct 'reatioship between amplitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted