Question on the SG (Stern-Gerlach) Spin experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the Stern-Gerlach experiment and the effect of the position of the N and S components of the magnetic field on the spin distribution of particles passing through it. The experiment involves sending silver atoms through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, which is necessary for observing particle spin. The behavior of spin-up and spin-down particles is different in this field, resulting in a wavefunction that is a superposition of two spatial components. The position of the particles passing between the magnets does not affect the spin distribution.
arkantos
During a SG experiment, the components N and S of the magnetic field are placed at the exact distance from the beam of particle?(or with precise approximation) What would happen if for example S is placed a little more distant from the beam of particle than N? Will we observe more deflection toward N? Or the quantum property of spin is not influenced by the position of the two source?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are talking about. SG? There are not two magnetic fields 0 there is only one.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. SG? There are not two magnetic fields 0 there is only one.

My bad, I expressed myself miserably. I'm talking about the Stern-Gerlach experiment.
I attach here a picture.

Attachments

• Stern-Gerlach_experiment (1).png
    Stern-Gerlach_experiment (1).png
    12.1 KB · Views: 168
If you move the magnets, you will change the field configuration, and in general change the silver beams' response to it.

Likes arkantos and vanhees71
ok, so what behaviour we expect? In particular I would like to know if the change of field configuration, intended as distance of N and S components from the silver beams, will affect the average measure of spin we obtain.
I mean, If the N component is closer to the silver beam than S component, we still observe a 50% spin distribution?

arkantos said:
ok, so what behaviour we expect? In particular I would like to know if the change of field configuration, intended as distance of N and S components from the silver beams, will affect the average measure of spin we obtain.
I mean, If the N component is closer to the silver beam than S component, we still observe a 50% spin distribution?

Why don't you first explain what happens in the usual SG experiment and why?

For what I understood, silver atoms are sent through an inhomogeneuos magnetic field. It must be inhomogeneus, because if it was homogeneous we don't observe deflection at all, right? Which also means that an inhomogeneous field is the fundamental condition for the observation of a particle spin, right?
In the case of SG experiment,let's say that N is more intense than S. A particle with spin down will be deflected toward N, while a particle with spin up will be deflected toward S.

arkantos said:
For what I understood, silver atoms are sent through an inhomogeneuos magnetic field. It must be inhomogeneus, because if it was homogeneous we don't observe deflection at all, right? Which also means that an inhomogeneous field is the fundamental condition for the observation of a particle spin, right?
In the case of SG experiment,let's say that N is more intense than S. A particle with spin down will be deflected toward N, while a particle with spin up will be deflected toward S.

Okay, so the basic principle is that spin-up and spin-down behave differently when subjected to an inhomogeneous magnetic field. And the the SG apparatus thereby results in a wavefunction that is a superposition of two spatial components that are coupled to the up-down spin components.

In what way is this dependent on the particle passing exactly half-way between the magnets?

Last edited:
Likes arkantos
PeroK said:
Okay, so the basic principle is that spin-up and spin-down behave differently when subjected to an inhomogeneous magnetic field. And the the SG apparatus thereby results in a wavefunction that is a superposition of two spatial components that are coupled to the up-down spin components.

In what way is this dependent on the particle passing exactly half-way between the magnets?
Yh... no way it is dependent.
I was trying somehow to reinterpret the notion of spin as a variable dependent from the particle position.

Last edited:

1. What is the SG (Stern-Gerlach) Spin experiment?

The SG (Stern-Gerlach) Spin experiment is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the concept of intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of particles. It involves passing a beam of particles, such as electrons, through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles as they exit the field.

2. How does the SG Spin experiment work?

The SG Spin experiment works by passing a beam of particles through a non-uniform magnetic field. The particles have an intrinsic magnetic moment, or spin, which causes them to interact with the magnetic field. This interaction results in the particles being deflected in different directions depending on their spin orientation.

3. What is the significance of the SG Spin experiment?

The SG Spin experiment is significant because it was one of the first experiments to demonstrate the concept of quantum spin and its quantized nature. It also provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles and helped lay the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics.

4. What are the applications of the SG Spin experiment?

The SG Spin experiment has various applications in modern technology, including in the development of magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives. It is also used in research to study the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the SG Spin experiment?

One limitation of the SG Spin experiment is that it can only measure the spin of particles in one direction at a time. It also cannot determine the exact position of the particles, only their spin orientation. Additionally, the experiment is limited to particles with non-zero spin, such as electrons, and cannot be applied to particles with zero spin, like photons.