Question on working out forces acting on a brick.

• Thread starter nxtgenlva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
It is only asking for a summary of the conversation.In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the downward force of a brick and the role of friction in this scenario. The force was calculated to be 22.19N and it was determined that friction is not relevant to the question at hand.
nxtgenlva
http://imgur.com/MyxXW

Attempt at solution for the last question:
ƩF=f1-f2
Ʃf=25-2.81=22.19N
The force is acting downwards, towards the center of the earth.

Could you lovely people check this over and check if I have it right? Because I have a bad feeling about it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can see, it looks right to me.

Woohoo! I'm not going to fail A-level physics! Thanks man.

What about the friction? Imagine they put the brick on your arm. You would feel a downward force as you have calculated, yes. But if they started pulling the brick, would you feel your arm being pulled too, assuming that there was significant friction?

Friction has nothing to do with what the last question is asking.

What are the forces acting on a brick during a workout?

The main forces acting on a brick during a workout are gravity, the reaction force from the surface it is resting on, and any external forces applied by the person working out, such as lifting or pushing the brick.

How does gravity affect a brick during a workout?

Gravity is the force that pulls the brick towards the center of the Earth. When a person lifts or moves the brick during a workout, they are working against the force of gravity to move the brick.

What is the reaction force from the surface on a brick during a workout?

The reaction force is the force exerted by the surface the brick is resting on to support its weight. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the brick.

How do external forces affect a brick during a workout?

External forces, such as those applied by a person during a workout, can cause the brick to accelerate or change direction. These forces can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

Why is it important to consider the forces acting on a brick during a workout?

Understanding the forces acting on a brick during a workout can help prevent injuries and ensure proper form. It can also help determine the amount of work being done and the amount of energy required for the workout.