Question: Operating quotes

• Thread starter JM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a forum user asking for help on how to properly quote and respond to different parts of a post. Redbelly provides a solution using quote tags, and the user asks a follow-up question about including nested quotes. Redbelly suggests manually copying and pasting the nested quote or using the multiquote button.
JM
To: Operations
How do I separate parts of a Quote to answer each part separately?
I couldn't find 'Operations'.
JM

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the tags [noparse]
[/noparse] and
to enclose each part that you want to respond to. For example, typing the following...

[noparse]
Somebody said:
[/noparse]The first part you want to respond to.
Your first response.
[noparse]
[/noparse]The second part you want to respond to.
Your second response.

...will look like this:

Somebody said:
The first part you want to respond to.
Your first response.
The second part you want to respond to.
Your second response.

Note, the initial [noparse]"
Somebody said:
"[/noparse] and final "
" are automatically inserted when you click the Quote button [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/quote.gif under the message you are responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
Use the tags [noparse]
and
[/noparse] to enclose each part that you want to respond to …

and you can do that by clicking the quote icon (3 to the left of the X2 icon) just above the Reply box :wink:

Redbelly98 said:
Use the tags [noparse] to enclose each part that you want to respond to. For example, typing the following...

Thanks, Redbelly, for that help. Now a new question: How do I quote a post while including a quote included in that post?

To my knowledge, there is no standard way to do that. Whenever I want to retain nested quotes, I select and copy the text within the internal quote, then paste it in the reply, adding quote tags around it. If the nested quote is from another post in the thread, I use the multiquote button, then rearrange things in the reply box.

Last edited:

1. What are operating quotes?

Operating quotes are a type of quotation that are used in scientific research to indicate a specific operation or manipulation being performed on the subject or data. They are typically used in research papers to provide clarity and precision to the description of the experiment or procedure.

2. How are operating quotes different from regular quotes?

Operating quotes are different from regular quotes in that they are used specifically to indicate an operation or manipulation, while regular quotes are used to show direct speech or to cite a source. Operating quotes are also typically enclosed in parentheses and may include specific details about the operation being performed.

3. When should operating quotes be used?

Operating quotes should be used whenever there is a need to clearly and precisely describe an operation or manipulation in a scientific study. This could include experiments, data analysis, or any other type of procedure that is being performed on a subject or data set.

4. How do operating quotes help in scientific research?

Operating quotes help in scientific research by providing a clear and concise description of the operations or manipulations being performed. This helps to ensure that the methodology of the study is accurately communicated and can be replicated by other researchers in the field.

5. Are there any rules for using operating quotes?

There are no strict rules for using operating quotes in scientific research, but it is important to use them consistently and accurately. They should only be used when necessary and should be clearly defined to avoid any confusion. It is also important to follow any specific guidelines or formatting requirements set by the particular scientific journal or publication.