Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question: photon analogs for strong and weak forces

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if someone could answer these questions?

It is obvious that the forces due to electromagnetics are due to the transfer of photons. What particles are responsible for the strong and weak forces in the nuclei? Are they massless like photons (which would imply that they travel at c)? Are there any ideas why they are so strong at very short distances and so weak at long distances? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2
    The strong force is carried by massless particles called gluons, while the weak force is carried by massive particles called W and Z bosons. The weak force is short-range because the particles that carry it are sufficiently massive to decay into pairs of particles quickly. The strong force is short-range due to an effect caused by the ability of gluons to interact with each other.

4. Dec 30, 2006 #3
    Addind to what Parlyne has told you, i urge you to read our very own Elementary Particles Presented Thread

regards
    marlon

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4
    Thank you very much. I will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?