Question: Protons and Neutrons Popping into and out of existance

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TreeofSkills
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutrons Protons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
TreeofSkills
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I heard that protons and neutrons, as well as electrons pop into and out of existence.
Is this by experiment, or mathmatics.

Thankyou
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TreeofSkills said:
I heard that protons and neutrons, as well as electrons pop into and out of existence.
Is this by experiment, or mathmatics.

Thankyou

I assume you are talking about virtual particles, which appear and disappear without leaving any direct trace.

Protons and neutrons are made of quarks. Virtual quarks do occur. But I do not believe an entire quark structure can spontaneously appear in virtual form. Maybe there is some slim chance that could occur but somehow I would guess that the likelihood of that is so small as to be considered negligible relative to the age of the universe.