Question re: photon interference

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interference between photons and its relation to coherence and entanglement. It is mentioned that some literature suggests only single photon interference exists, while others discuss the possibility of interference between two photons. The use of double slits and the concept of waves interfering with each other is also brought up. It is clarified that interference and entanglement are unrelated concepts, unless one is implying that interference is strictly non-local.
sanpkl
I have been getting conflicting information so here are my questions, re:

1. Single photon interference
2. Interference between two photons
3. Two-photon interference

1. Some literature says that only single photon/particle interference exists.
Can two photons interfere with each other?

2. Can the "waves" of two photons interfere with each other?

By waves I mean as posited by the DeBroglie-Bohm (DBB) interpretation.

i.e. if two photons are sent separately through their own set of double slits;
as we bought the double slits closer would there be interference between the "waves" of photon A with that of photon B?

we are talking about - a total of 4 slits i.e. two double slits being brought closer.

3. Does two-photon = entangled photons/particles?

4. Do two-photon interfere?

5. Can they do so non-locally?

6. What is the relation between relation between two-photon interference and coherence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coherence of wave phase leads to double slit interference, progressively diminishing intensity of constructive interference between not only 2 separate photons but with itself when alone as well. The thinner the slit the longer the interference range on the plane of observation. The distance between the slits is pertinent to the frequency of the wave. I see no benefit in complicating this simplified system by introducing more or less constructive or destructive interference with additional slits. Interference and entanglement are completely unrelated, unless you are trying to imply that interference is strictly non-local...

Likes sanpkl

1. What is photon interference?

Photon interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more photons interact with each other and either constructively or destructively interfere with each other's wave patterns.

2. How does photon interference occur?

Photon interference occurs when two or more photons pass through a medium or interact with each other in some way. This can happen in various scenarios such as when photons pass through a double slit, or when they are reflected off a surface or diffracted through a grating.

3. What is the importance of studying photon interference?

Studying photon interference is important for understanding the fundamental principles of light and its behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications.

4. Can photon interference be observed in everyday life?

Yes, photon interference can be observed in everyday life. One common example is the rainbow, where sunlight is diffracted and refracted by water droplets in the atmosphere, resulting in interference patterns that create the colors we see.

5. What are some current research developments in photon interference?

Some current research developments in photon interference include using it to study and manipulate quantum entanglement, as well as utilizing it for secure communication methods in quantum cryptography.